Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri keeps telling me "Sorry..., I'm having trouble playing your music"

I am not a subscriber to Apple Music, but this problem only started happening after they released Apple Music.

Usually, Siri will work properly for my music if music is already playing, but I almost always get the "I'm having trouble" message if there is no music playing yet. It is also more likely to happen when I ask for a specific playlist, rather than an artist or album.

Also, many times, I can see by the text on my screen that Siri correctly transcribed my request, but then it changes the words to something only vaguely similar and then says it can't find it.

One other detail is that sometimes after telling me "Sorry..., I'm having trouble playing your music", it then goes ahead and starts the correct playlist anyway!

Not happy about this, as Siri used to work almost flawlessly for me before Apple Music.

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 8:44 AM

12 replies

Nov 25, 2015 2:31 PM in response to gdean

Hi gdean,

If I understand correctly, you are trying to get Siri to play only music that you have stored on your iPhone. The resource below provides some information for working with Siri and the new Music app. Click on the link for complete details, but I've highlighted some key points here for you:

Using the new Music app
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204951

Play your music

User uploaded file

When you play a song, you see the Miniplayer at the bottom of the screen. You can keep browsing other titles to find the perfect next song.

User uploaded file

Or you can tap or swipe up on the Miniplayer to see the Now Playing screen and controls. Tap the User uploaded file in the upper-left corner or swipe down to close the Now Playing screen.

If you want to listen to an artist's entire collection of music that you've saved to your library, find the artist in My Music. To the right of the artist's name, tap User uploaded file, then tap Add to Up Next. If you want to listen to all of an artist's songs even if you don't have their music in your library, ask Siri to play all of their songs.

Use Siri

With iOS 8.4, Siri takes your music requests. You can ask Siri at any time to “play the top songs from 2015” or “play more songs like this.” You can even ask Siri to “add the new Blur album to my library."

Ask Siri to "play all songs by Pharell Williams" to listen to all of Pharell's music, even if it's not in your library, or "play my music by Drake" to listen to Drake's songs that you have saved to your library. You can also ask Siri to shuffle the songs in an album or playlist while you're listening to it.

Create a playlist

You can create playlists to listen to or share with friends. If you don't see a Playlists tab, tap My Music, then tap Playlists at the top of the screen.

Under All Playlists, tap New at the right of the screen, above the list of playlists. Fill in details for your playlist, such as the title and description, then add songs. If you like, you can also add an image. When you're happy with your playlist, tap Done in the upper-right corner.

Listen offline

You can save songs—including songs that you bought from the iTunes Store, added from Apple Music, or that were matched or uploaded with Apple Music or iTunes Match—to your device for offline listening. Tap User uploaded file next to the item. Then tap Make Available Offline to save them to your device.

To see music that you saved to listen to offline, go to My Music. Under the Recently Added section, tap the category selector (Artists, Albums, etc.). Show Music Available Offline is at the bottom of the category list. When this setting is on, My Music shows only songs that you saved to your device. Turn this setting off to see all of your music, including music stored in iCloud Music Library.

Hope this helps ...

Dec 28, 2015 12:33 PM in response to gdean

I'm seeing the same problem as yours.

As of iOS 9.1 on iPhone 6S, it is still good. Siri could still find my playlist in My Music.

As soon as I upgraded to IOS 9.2, Siri could no longer find my playlists in My Music.

It kept on saying "Sorry, I've trouble finding your Music".

I think that Apple did a major stuff in Apple Music in 9.2 and got bugs in between Music and Siri.

Siri could find my calendar schedules and can find Weather for me.

Jan 19, 2016 9:12 PM in response to Mos5

I have done the update but still having the same problem.

If I say "hey siri play the playlist favorites" I get "Sorry im having trouble playing your music"

If I say "hey siri open the messages app" siri says I she cant find the messages app should I search the app store.

Its so annoying I used to be able to play my music while driving just by asking siri!

Will apple pay my fine from the police if I get pulled over for looking at my phone while driving?

GRRRRRRR

Jan 20, 2016 10:30 AM in response to gdean

I've been having this same issue on my 6S running 9.2 (and 9.2.1 I believe).

From what I can tell, a background process that allows Siri to access "searchable" things like music, contacts, etc. quits working over time.

Once that happens, Siri can no longer play your music, send a message, call someone, set a reminder, etc.

The only solution I've found is to power off the phone and power it back on which likely restores the failed service.

Anecdotal fixes I've read are likely not fixes at all, but rather the power-cycling of the phone caused by restoring it, upgrading it, etc. is what fixes the problem temporarily.

Hopefully Apple's engineers are receiving these problems via the automated reporting tools that monitor app health.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.