Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi speed and AirPorts

I currently have an AirBook and two relatively new, AirPort products, an AP Extreme and a Time Capsule, all of which support 802.11ac, and my network works fine and fast. I'm thinking of adding an AP Express (for AirPlay on the TV). The newest Express only supports 802.11n, which is slower than 801.11ac. I recall reading somewhere that the speed of a network is limited by the speed of the slowest device on it, which would mean that the Express would slow me down considerably (about half, I think). Is this true? Or can I use the Express, accepting that AirPlay on the TV may not be as fast as could be, but everything else will still run as fast as before?

OS X El Capitan (10.11), assorted Macs & Apple stuff, etc.

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 5:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 7:50 AM

The solution would be to either connect the AirPort Express to the network using an Ethernet cable, or set up the AirPort Express to "join a wireless network", also known as "client mode".

A device that connects to the AirPort Express will of course be limited to the speed capability of the Express, but the network would not be affected or "slowed down" in this type of setup.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2015 7:50 AM in response to gbdoc

The solution would be to either connect the AirPort Express to the network using an Ethernet cable, or set up the AirPort Express to "join a wireless network", also known as "client mode".

A device that connects to the AirPort Express will of course be limited to the speed capability of the Express, but the network would not be affected or "slowed down" in this type of setup.

WiFi speed and AirPorts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.