Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9.1 slowed down my iPhone 6 Plus leading to unsatisfactory experience

Post my iOS 9.1 update I am noticing all kinds of navigation in the phone are taking time or reacting slowly. E.g.,

1. You are in camera app, click home button, phone thinks for sometime as if I've not pressed the home button, then it comes back to the home screen/last accessed screen after much deliberation.

2. You unlock the phone using touch-id, you are on your home screen/last accessed screen. You swipe left/right, it does not register the first few swipes, suddenly advances to the screens as if 'oh sorry forgot you swiped'.

3. you come out of an app, click on another app to open it, it registers the click after much deliberation.

Note: My iphone is in mint condition no scratches/dents what so ever.

I am not a believer of the popular notion that Apple makes the older iPhone models gradually slow/irrelevant to promote its newest gadgets, but right now I am an #UnhappyiPhoneUser.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 6:56 AM

13 replies

Nov 24, 2015 7:00 AM in response to ArpanFromCal

No, that's not normal behavior. What troubleshooting steps have you taken? Have you restarted? Done a forced restart (used to be called a reset). Restored your phone from back up? Restored as new?

How much free space do you have on the phone? Do you have Background App refresh enabled for a lot of your apps? You may want to review that list as too much updating in the background could slow things down.

Nov 24, 2015 10:23 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hi,

just did a reset restart.

1. When I bought the phone I restored from my earlier iPhone.

2. I have 9.8 GB left on my phone right now, it's a 64 GB model.

3. I never enabled back ground refresh at all, always go to App Store and do manual update.

So far no improvement, let me know if I can try anything else, thanks.

note: I never close the opened apps, they remain there, I understood from the forums that iOS takes care of this.

Nov 24, 2015 10:35 AM in response to ArpanFromCal

I Have been having same lag issues and so much more. Especially with touch registering right away. Everything was great until update. I posted all my issues in this forum yesterday and no replies. I've been an iPhone user since 4 and have always been so happy. I'm extremely disappointed. I switched from Andriod because of issues like this and after all these years not having to deal with this stuff it's even worse. Ugh

Nov 25, 2015 9:26 AM in response to ArpanFromCal

Background app refresh has nothing to do with downloading things from the App Store. It's enabled by default. Go to Settings>General>Background App Refresh and turn it off for anything you don't feel needs to be updating its data in the background. It will increase your battery life as well.

If a forced restart and turning off Background App refresh doesn't resolve your issues, the next step would be to restore from a back up. If that doesn't help, restore as new and test the phone to see if, with nothing on it, it works properly.

Nov 24, 2015 10:48 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

HI! Thank you, I greatly appreciate your response! Yes I have done all those steps, many times unfortunately. Not the restore as new. otherwise I have every app option, and everything I can possibly running as minimally as I can make it. I was resistant about it at first but I did relent and turn off everything I could find that could run unnecessarily and have even deleted many apps. I obsessively end apps as soon as I finish using them, I never have things just running. Meh.... Anyways, thank you again!!

Nov 25, 2015 10:59 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I Should add... The reason I ask is so I know what not to put back on the phone, or at least the potential issues. The main thing I don't understand is why everything was fine before updating. What could be causing all this trouble when nothing had changed except the update. What could be causing the conflict? I don't want to go through restore, putting everything back onto the phone, just to end up with this issue again.

Nov 25, 2015 11:06 AM in response to SadieKitten

SadieKitten wrote:

well, that's confusing, I thought leaving apps running all the time would slow the phone down. When I say endin I mean I double click the home button and swipe up. Also, do you know what would cause me to need to restore the phone?

Those apps are not running. They are simply recently used. They are frozen. Forcing the phone to relaunch them completely every time you want to use them uses battery. So, unless you enjoy flicking them up (some people do), stop wasting your time doing that.

Things go wrong with technology. The only way to test if the problem is with something you put on the phone or with something inherent in the phone is to wipe it back to factory state and test it. No, it may not solve your problem but it might and the only way to find out is to do it.

Nov 25, 2015 11:09 AM in response to SadieKitten

SadieKitten wrote:

well, that's confusing, I thought leaving apps running all the time would slow the phone down. When I say endin I mean I double click the home button and swipe up.

Right, and don't do that. Force-quitting apps is not recommended and is completely unnecessary. The only time you should do that is if the app is acting up in some way. Apps that you've used recently are completely idle and not utilizing any resources, so force-quitting them actually consumes more battery than just leaving them be.

SadieKitten wrote:

Also, do you know what would cause me to need to restore the phone?

A corrupted backup, so restoring an putting that backup back on the iPhone just perpetuates the problem. Restoring as new (no backup) is likely the solution if you're still having troubles after restoring and loading your backup.

Nov 25, 2015 11:19 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

LOL wow.... Guess that's what I get for getting my info from T-Mobile people.... Omg. That is NOT what I was told in any way. And thank you both, that all makes complete sense. It's not like I haven't been told to restore, but no one could explain to me why and it's hard for me to just do something without having at least somewhat of an understanding what and why I'm doing it. Corrupted backup makes complete sense after reading about that. I suspect that's exactly what it is. Thanks so much!!

Nov 25, 2015 11:36 AM in response to SadieKitten

SadieKitten wrote:

LOL wow.... Guess that's what I get for getting my info from T-Mobile people.... Omg. That is NOT what I was told in any way. And thank you both, that all makes complete sense. It's not like I haven't been told to restore, but no one could explain to me why and it's hard for me to just do something without having at least somewhat of an understanding what and why I'm doing it. Corrupted backup makes complete sense after reading about that. I suspect that's exactly what it is. Thanks so much!!

It's a very common misconception. And, I think, sometimes people who don't want to take the trouble to really explain things, tell you something to do that makes you feel like you're doing something.

Restoring is a bit annoying but probably less annoying that the problems you're having.

Best of luck.

iOS 9.1 slowed down my iPhone 6 Plus leading to unsatisfactory experience

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.