Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 21.5 late-2015 model boot camp driver support

Just purchased 2 - 2015 late model iMac's for boot camp purposes. The installation of this changed again... now, supposedly, Windows drivers are installed directly from the Mac OS partition. The version that installed was bootcamp 6.0.0 (love those initial releases...), but most of the device drivers in Windows (8.1) were not updated.

Found a link to the 6.0.0 software and manually unzipped the file so we could actually see all the drivers. We were able to assign drivers to the devices and cleared all of these driver issues.

But... what remains is problems with the sound. Was finally able, by choosing a variety of sound drivers, get the internal speakers to work in Windows. But... nothing plugged into the headset jack works (it does on the Mac OS side).

Currently we are using Intel built-in device drivers, but cannot find any mention of what the actual sound hardware is on this iMac (used to be Cirrus). We have also called Apple support and found a manager to discuss this week, but it has been 10 days. Would like this to work properly and know that we have the correct drivers installed for the hardware that is used on this iMac.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015), Windows 8, Sound

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 8:47 AM

38 replies

Aug 6, 2017 6:57 AM in response to harrisonfromaustin

From How to install Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support and the Learn More section says

Learn more

With OS X El Capitan 10.11 or later, these models use the internal drive to temporarily store what you need to install Windows, so you don't need a USB flash drive:

• MacBook Pro (2015 and later)
  • MacBook Air (2015 and later)
  • MacBook (2015 and later)
  • iMac (2015 and later)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)

You have a 3TB Fusion drive which has been partitioned for EFI. Legacy BIOS mode cannot address a disk larger than 2TB, due to MBR limitations.

Can you remove all external storage, remove Windows using BCA, run the following two resets,

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

put the ISO file on the internal macOS drive and re-run BCA and try a 'clean' install? BCA will download the correct drivers from Apple before it starts partitioning.

Aug 5, 2017 3:52 PM in response to harrisonfromaustin

The BC Assistant will not download older versions. For W10, it will only download BC6 versions. BC6 drivers are not available via Apple Downloads. BC Assistant is the authoritative source for drivers. Brigadier is an option, but only if all else fails and requires the correct choice of Model and Product being made during the download.

The BC5 drivers are meant for W7 and are listed in Install Windows 7 and earlier on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support . If possible, I suggest removing the current W10 installation, and starting over again.

Aug 5, 2017 8:08 AM in response to Loner T

I had AMD High Definition Audio. I say had because in the process of trying to make sure I had the most up to date driver, something got corrupted and everything froze. I got so frustrated (been working at this about 6 hours) that I decided to just do a clean reinstall. Deleted the partition in Bootcamp Assistant only to find that the partitions didn't reassemble properly. Had to go into terminal to fix that and am just now reinstalling my iMac backup. I'm not sure I have the stamina to try this again, although I use a number of Windows programs regularly.

Aug 5, 2017 1:15 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you. I learned the hard way about partitioning errors. In my last attempt to get sound, I did reinstall both Cirrus and Realtek drivers-to no avail. What has me stumped is that when I did this a couple of years ago, everything worked fine. I'm wondering if using updated boot camp drivers from that original installation is causing the problem. Is it possible to load the drivers that I would have used then?

Aug 5, 2017 3:47 PM in response to Loner T

Well...that may be my problem, but I'm not sure why I got different versions. In each case, I used Bootcamp Assistant and the Windows Support Software downloaded as a part of the setup. I didn't select anything. I assumed the drivers were automatically installed during installation of Win 10. When the sound wouldn't work, I went to the Apple Support page which has all the driver packages listed and took the latest one displayed-believe that was the 5.1.5621. I then tried to reinstall the drivers manually to see if that made a difference. Honestly, I have no idea where the other two came from, but I suppose I may have downloaded another different package somehow. I've gone through the installation process so many times, I may have. So...if I run Bootcamp Assistant, how do I insure that the latest drivers are those downloaded, and do they get installed automatically?

Aug 6, 2017 4:53 AM in response to Loner T

No. I had to wipe my drive, assemble the hard drive using Terminal from partitions which Bootcamp Assistant would not reassemble, reinstall my operating system (Sierra) and restore a Time Machine backup. I then used Bootcamp Assistant to repartition and reinstall from a Win 10 ISO that was on a USB 2.0 thumb drive. I had no other devices plugged into the computer.

Aug 6, 2017 5:48 AM in response to Loner T

Interesting that the use of the USB might be a problem since those are the specific instruction in the Apple Bootcamp installation instruction. Terminal output below:

Last login: Sun Aug 6 02:45:20 on console

DESKTOP-47QNSNL:~ HL$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 2.5 TB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

4: Microsoft Basic Data 509.0 GB disk0s5

5: Windows Recovery 886.0 MB disk0s6

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 121.0 GB disk1s2

3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk1s3

/dev/disk2 (internal, virtual):

0: Apple_HFS MacintoshHD +2.6 TB disk2

Logical Volume on disk0s2, disk1s2

0EAF01F6-F97B-4027-852A-83C532D0E72A

Unencrypted Fusion Drive

/dev/disk3 (external, physical):

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *31.0 GB disk3

1: Windows_NTFS BTCMP Setup 31.0 GB disk3s1

DESKTOP-47QNSNL:~ HL$

iMac 21.5 late-2015 model boot camp driver support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.