Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot publish with iWeb

I have been using an iWeb site for years. After Apple stopped supporting it I got a new online host for the site. Although iWeb is antiquated, it still has worked with my new MacPro Retina. I was able to publish several new pages on my site last summer, from the new MacPro Retina. However, I now have a new page ready and tried twice today to publish it. It says it is publishing, then it says it is finished, but the site online has not bee updated. I do not know what to try now. I have not changed any settings since the last time I published site changes successfully. Can anyone offer me some advice. I am 81 and don't expect to use this site forever, but would like to publish these pictures from my recent trips. Thank you for your help.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS 10,10.5

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 5:07 PM

If you are using a new MacPro Retina, then are you running El Capitan which is the latest Mac OS?

If so, this might be the problem, because there is something with El Capitan and iWeb that interferes with direct publishing from iWeb itself.

Some people have successfully negotiated this by altering the way that they upload their site - you will need to publish directly to your server by using a ftp programme to upload your files and to see exactly what is on your host.

Instead of publishing directly from iWeb, select the publish to a local folder option and then download an ftp programme such as Cyberduck and then use this to upload your new files to your server. This is the way around it, but you would be better off using a new application.

You do know that iWeb is NOT a supported product and has not been for the last 3 to 4 years?

With this in mind, it will only get less and less compatible, so take a look at EverWeb here and consider changing. This has been developed as a direct iWeb replacement product that is actively supported and developed.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2015 5:07 PM in response to Barbara Hunt

If you are using a new MacPro Retina, then are you running El Capitan which is the latest Mac OS?

If so, this might be the problem, because there is something with El Capitan and iWeb that interferes with direct publishing from iWeb itself.

Some people have successfully negotiated this by altering the way that they upload their site - you will need to publish directly to your server by using a ftp programme to upload your files and to see exactly what is on your host.

Instead of publishing directly from iWeb, select the publish to a local folder option and then download an ftp programme such as Cyberduck and then use this to upload your new files to your server. This is the way around it, but you would be better off using a new application.

You do know that iWeb is NOT a supported product and has not been for the last 3 to 4 years?

With this in mind, it will only get less and less compatible, so take a look at EverWeb here and consider changing. This has been developed as a direct iWeb replacement product that is actively supported and developed.

Sep 1, 2016 12:15 PM in response to Barbara Hunt

I had the same issue but now find that by using Godaddy's hosting, and by using their helpline to get me published (re: the settings etc), iWeb works fine under ElCapitan for me.

I also downloaded the final version of iWeb (I think it's 3.0.4) from the Apple website. When I tried to do this through Appstore it wouldn't let me as it is no longer supported. But it's still there for download direct from the Apple site. Just do a search.

Sep 2, 2016 2:59 AM in response to vintageaxeman

No, iWeb is not and never has been available to download via the Apple website and has never been available individually via the App Store either.

If you ever wanted to purchase iWeb, you would have to purchase either the iLife 11 or iLife 09 boxed set from Amazon. The only downloads that are available are updates for whatever version of iWeb you already have, so if you have a copy of iWeb 3 already, then you can download the latest available updates for that, but you cannot download upgrades say from iWeb 08 to iWeb 09 - these are not and never have been available to download.

iWeb is very old now and rather than trying to publish using it, it might be time for you to look at the supported alternatives out there, such as EverWeb, FreeWay Pro or Express, RapidWeaver, Sandbox and other.

The above are supported and iWeb has not been supported for at least the last 4 years now.

Sep 2, 2016 3:32 AM in response to Ethmoid

Yes, Ethmoid, of course you are correct.

I mistakenly said I had downloaded the latest version of iWeb from the Apple website when it was of course only the last update to iWeb3 which I had already bought as part of iLife11.

My iLife11 disc had version 3.0.2 on it, and the update I got from the Apple website was 3.0.4.

I DO understand that things change SO fast, so it's good to have a 'supported' program, but it seems to still work fine with ElCapitan and Godaddy's hosting, and when setting up my website, I was told by the godaddy advisor that most aspects of iWeb still work absolutely fine. So I am currently using it because I find it so VERY easy to use.

What practical 'in use' benefits would I get by moving to Everweb, FreeWay Pro or Express, RapidWeaver, Sandbox or anything else? And which is most similar to iWeb, please?

Sep 2, 2016 3:15 PM in response to vintageaxeman

Practical benefits - you get the benefits of current software being updated regularly to keep it moving forward and up to date - iWeb has not had updates for the last 6 years and has been unsupported software for nearly that long too.

EverWeb is the most like iWeb to use and its interface is very similar to iWeb but it can do so much more than iWeb ever could from within the package - drop down menus from within the software, contact forms, image galleries and much much more and the software is regularly updated and there are user forums that you can ask questions on and receive answers very quickly.

EverWeb is just as easy to use as iWeb, with the benefits of being current, receiving regular updates and having a user forum where you can ask any questions.

Cannot publish with iWeb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.