Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBA mid 2013 - crash & black screen on battery only

Hello,

I am using a MBA 13-inch mid 2013 and since a week, I have the following issue :

- only on battery

- the MBA crashes "black screen" after a few seconds or minutes

When I restart it, it goes directly to desktop, bypassing the login page, without any notification on the issue. And same thing happens after a few more minutes or seconds.

I tested the whole mac with techtool : everything is fine, incuded the battery (229 cycles over 1000) that is charging to 100% and getting lower when the mac handles a few minutes before crash.

Note that even if I do not have any action once turned on, it will crash anyway.

I reset NRAM, PRAM, SMC.

When magsafe plugged, this never occurs and the MBA is just working perfectly. I erased the SSD yesterday and restore to latest OS El Capitan. This took several hours, without any crash or issue during the whole process.

I see some threads related to the same issue but without any fix, and none of them only occuring on battery like mine.

Thanks and Regards

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 11:50 PM

Hi. Is it shutting down or going to sleep mode? If you toggle the mouse or the space bar will it come back on? My wife's older Macbook had that problem and it was the internal cable to the battery. Her's shut down. That has the sleep mode in it as well. Or , in spite on the cycle count the battery could still be bad. You would need to take it to an apple store to be checked. The check over is free.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2015 11:50 PM in response to pradig22

Hi. Is it shutting down or going to sleep mode? If you toggle the mouse or the space bar will it come back on? My wife's older Macbook had that problem and it was the internal cable to the battery. Her's shut down. That has the sleep mode in it as well. Or , in spite on the cycle count the battery could still be bad. You would need to take it to an apple store to be checked. The check over is free.

Nov 26, 2015 9:04 AM in response to pradig22

In reading your post, are you saying that the cycle count is 229 or 1229? And how large of a drop do you get when on, before it shuts down? If you hold down the Option key while clicking on the battery icon, it will give battery condition. If you go into about this mac( upper left menu under the apple) for systems or system profiler / power. Then give me the settings for charge remaining/cycle count/condition/voltage(mv)amperage(ma) if any. I'm a retired mechanic. So I know that a car battery can show full charge but have a bad cell, so as to hold only what is called a surface charge. So that under load it will drop fast. The macbook just like a car has a minimum charge rate at which it will function.Get below it and it will shut off. As long as the Macbook is plugged in it is receiving a charge rate. If the battery shows as normal, you may need to make an appointment at the Apple Store. They can check battery condition and charge rate better than what shows in systems.

MBA mid 2013 - crash & black screen on battery only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.