Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Table of Contents Problem: Added Blank Sections

Please note: this is using the latest version of IBA as of November 22, 2015 and this project is an ePub project where I've imported a Pages document that makes up the content.

Problem:

I have blank, "invisible" sections being added to the Table of Contents (TOC) and can't get rid of them. I have:

Heading, Heading 1 and Heading 2 set to show in the TOC. I just have Chapters and NO SECTIONS. The numbered subsections that are being created and populating the TOC are from the paragraph styles Heading 1 and Heading 2. It's clear there's no hierarchy with these latter: they're treated the same (e.g., 4.1, 4.2...) where 4.1 can be Heading 1, and 4.2 can be Heading 2.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 9:34 AM

Solution:

I solved it:

• I showed invisibles.
  • I clicked on the subsections in the side navigation and observed where the artboard moved to. When clicking on only the blank subsections, the artboard only moved slightly. This led me to hypothesize that a blank subsection was jumping only a line or similiar from the previous subsection.
  • I saw my paragraph breaks, and put the cursor in front of the first paragraph after one of the Heading 1 titles.
  • I then pressed "delete". The paragraph moved up just below the Heading 1 title with no line spacing, and that deleted the blank subsection.
  • I confirmed by looking in the TOC that the blank subsection was gone.
  • I proceeded to fix the rest of the blank subsections in the same fashion.

So you should backspace your paragraphs underneath your Headings to delete blank subsections if you have them. Clearly, IBA has some kind of bug here and it may be related to this being a project with content imported from Pages.

Problem solved.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2015 9:34 AM in response to lpsdev

Solution:

I solved it:

• I showed invisibles.
  • I clicked on the subsections in the side navigation and observed where the artboard moved to. When clicking on only the blank subsections, the artboard only moved slightly. This led me to hypothesize that a blank subsection was jumping only a line or similiar from the previous subsection.
  • I saw my paragraph breaks, and put the cursor in front of the first paragraph after one of the Heading 1 titles.
  • I then pressed "delete". The paragraph moved up just below the Heading 1 title with no line spacing, and that deleted the blank subsection.
  • I confirmed by looking in the TOC that the blank subsection was gone.
  • I proceeded to fix the rest of the blank subsections in the same fashion.

So you should backspace your paragraphs underneath your Headings to delete blank subsections if you have them. Clearly, IBA has some kind of bug here and it may be related to this being a project with content imported from Pages.

Problem solved.

Table of Contents Problem: Added Blank Sections

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.