Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

forward a host name to ip address

Running the latest version of server.

Trying to embed a webcam within a webpage. works internally using the internal ip. but not outside of the network. the camera will let me give it a host name and auto checks its dynamic ip... but when i try it it just goes to my servers homepage. how do i set it up so it will just forward a particular host name to the internal ipaddress?

hope that made sense?

Thanks

Mac Mini Server (Late 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 11:28 AM

3 replies

Nov 25, 2015 2:26 AM in response to Stuuuuuuuu

It sounds like the webcam has its own built-in web server. It also sounds like it is using an internal private IP address and that currently you have all port 80 traffic being 'forwarded' by your router to your Mac server. Typically a router can only forward a specific port number to a single destination, so either you need to have it forward all port 80 traffic to the webcam and then not be able to access your Mac server, or you need to set the webcam to run on a different port e.g. 8080 and have that forwarded to the webcam and access it via that port. Most devices acting as web servers will have the ability to change what port they use because of this exact sort of situation.

Something that might help make things easier for users would be to define multiple host names on your Mac server, one would be the main one for the Mac server itself, and another would be for the webcam. It is possible to define additional web server 'sites' in the web server on the Mac so you could define one for the web cam which listens on port 80 but then immediately redirects users to the different address and port of the webcam. I do this myself on one of my Mac servers although not for a webcam.

Nov 25, 2015 12:38 PM in response to John Lockwood

Thank you John for taking the time to help me.

I have fixed the internal ip address of me camera and it does have a different port number to 80. I have opened up the port using airport extreme, and created a very simple website (i know how to host websites as have some)

with the html code below, if i put the internal ip in as the hostname it works fine on my local network and sometimes via vpn but outside of my network i get the web page but no camera feed. I have created a new host re-direct just for the camera. and I have set this as a secondary zone on my server and put the ip address of the camera in it...... it doesn't work. what am i doing wrong?

forward a host name to ip address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.