Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pictures in Numbers

Is there a way to put a picture in a cell so that it is small, but when you click on it, it enlarges to view full size?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), 3.4 GHz, Fusion drive

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 12:08 PM

5 replies

Nov 24, 2015 1:54 PM in response to Cartoonguy

Numbers has some decent graphics capabilities that make it possible to pretty up spreadsheets, but, like other spreadsheet programs, its main d'être is crunching numbers. So I don't know how high a priority this would be, but you could give feedback to Apple via Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback in your menu.

SG

Nov 24, 2015 6:01 PM in response to Cartoonguy

You cannot do what you are asking but you might be able to do something else. I don't know how robust this idea is but here it is anyway:

1. One column is checkboxes. I used column B in the screenshots below
  2. The next column (column C) has your pictures as background images. Each cell also has the formula =IF(B,"a bunch of carriage returns", "")
  3. Where it says "a bunch of carriage returns", keep the quotes and put a bunch of Option-Returns in it. The more you use the taller the cell will get when you check the checkbox in that row.
  4. Ensure you do not manually resize any of these rows. If you do, they will not automatically resize when you check/uncheck the checkbox.

While you might be able to enlarge images to near full size, it works best if they only enlarge a little, like in my example. If they enlarge a lot, you may lose sight of the checkbox and will have to scroll to relocate it to uncheck it.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Pictures in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.