Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMac with El Capitan won't start Yosemite usb installer

I have a new iMac out of the box with El Capitan installed. I need to have Yosemite installed. I have a usb3 key that I formatted (GUID) and then used Disk Maker to make it boot able. When I plug in the usb key and hold down alt/option I see the key but when I select it, I get the "no" icon (circle with line though it). I have used this same usb key on a new MacBook air with El Capitan already installed and it booted fine and I could install Yosemite.

The iMac is a 27" model number A1419

Any help is appreciated.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Model A1419

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 9:50 AM

5 replies

Nov 24, 2015 10:01 AM in response to N.D.S.

You may need to use Disk Utility to erase the hard disk or create a separation partition to install 10.10 on it. Note, the latest iMac was released October 16, 2014. This means if the installer key was created from the available downloads before November 17, 2014, then it is too old to be used on the iMac. The only exception is if you created it directly from the restore partition when you bought the Mac. You might be able to consult with AppleCare to make it available for download again on your restore. It might also restore using a command-R boot using no key at all. Regardless, it is unlikely you'll be able to install 10.10 directly over 10.11. You'll need to migrate the files over that are compatible with both once the installation is complete from a different drive or partition.

Nov 24, 2015 10:11 AM in response to a brody

I have a usb with El Capitan and I booted the iMac with that. I then went into Disk Utility and erased the HDD. I re-downloaded Yosemite again today and I'm using the latest version of Disk Maker. I have an older iMac (that I am using to post here) and the Yosemite usb installer works fine on. I can't use the Yosemite installer on a separate partition because it won't even start, that is the real problem.

Thanks!

Nov 24, 2015 10:28 AM in response to N.D.S.

When was the Yosemite installer downloaded? When Apple releases a new computer it often requires drivers (special code) that exists in newer versions of the OS installer but not older ones. For example, I own a MacBook that will run Snow Leopard but not just any Snow Leopard installer will work - it has to be the 10.6.8 installer. Any previous version won’t boot the computer. If your installer came out before the new iMac was released it is very possible that it cannot be used on the new computer.

New iMac with El Capitan won't start Yosemite usb installer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.