Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage displays "New Message" on every single post

This is strange - been using iMessage since its been available - works just like it did on iPhone, iPad, etc.. . but just recently it started putting a "New Message" title on every single post. Its annoying as half my screen is full of "New Message" now.

Anyone have this issue and know how to fix it ? Already tried the usual - reboot, delete .plist files, restart app. Nothing works - all conversations now have this irritating prefix in it.

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 10:57 AM

11 replies

Nov 24, 2015 1:32 PM in response to sixgunaz

Hi,

I have not seen or heard of anything like this.

Do you mean that each new iMessage becomes it's own New Message with no apparent Contact Listed ?

User uploaded file

This pic is of a New Message started normally but before a Contact is added.

I am wondering if you see a text item in the right hand pane or if they are blank like this.

Or do you mean all existing Conversations listed in the Side Bar are now tagged as a New Message ?

User uploaded file

9:32 pm Tuesday; November 24, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Nov 24, 2015 1:55 PM in response to sixgunaz

Oh that.

On an iPhone they can select to send a Subject line.

It looks like someone has set a default "New Message" text to that space.

Here is the iPhone Pic of the line

User uploaded file

There is no Subject Line in the Mac version but it will display the ones on incoming texts.

User uploaded file

9:55 pm Tuesday; November 24, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 25, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

No Ralph, that's not it. This is some new bug that showed up yesterday. I've noticed it in a group chat that has some people on iOS devices and some on Android. All the messages started showing up with "New Message" in bold as the first line. I've seen a few posts on Twitter mentioning this as well. For me, it only seems to be happening in group messages. Individual messages from the same people show up normally.

Nov 25, 2015 10:13 AM in response to Eric D.

I was in a conversation with someone earlier today and they said they have read that it seems it could be for AT&T customers, that it involves group conversations with a mix of users (iOS & Android) and that it seems AT&T may be aware of it and are working on it. It may have to do with some enhancement that AT&T is preparing to deploy.

Nov 25, 2015 10:21 AM in response to Eric D.

I've not had a chance to independently test it, as the only person that I know of without an iPhone that is in my group of friends is my niece who is in the middle of classes today in college. I've got to wait a while to test it. It will probably be later this afternoon to be sure. BTW, do you have Group Messaging turned on in Settings?

Nov 25, 2015 12:33 PM in response to Eric D.

Hi,

The Line is question is the Subject Line.

This Pic is the same Chat as shown earlier but on the Mac with new item on the bottom.

User uploaded file

I did check my iPhone to see if the chosen "Subject" stayed in place but it does not.

I see from other Posts it maybe that AT&T groups chats to various Contacts using iPhones and Android items may be the one that suffer with this.

Presumably it is an SMS group chat in that case and seem to suffer from what the Carrier is doing to the messages which in itself is s little worrying.

User uploaded file

8:33 pm Wednesday; November 25, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

iMessage displays "New Message" on every single post

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.