Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any way for alerts to play through headphones only?

Maybe I missed this, but is there a way to play alerts (ringtone, alarms, etc) through headphones only? I had an alarm set dRing the work day with headphones in and when it went off, to my and everyone else's surprise, it blasted thunderously through my speakers, instead of my headphones like I thought it would. Is there a setting or something that I am missing? I tried turning the alerts sound all the way off, still played through speaker (albeit less loud). Tried muting the phone, did not work at all as alarm just blared on. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance! 🙂

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 11:22 AM

3 replies

Nov 24, 2015 12:10 PM in response to cjcivicx

Alerts (texts, reminders, other app alerts) play through the headphones. Ringer for phone calls and alarms will always play through the phone speakers. The alarm sound from the built in Clock app will sound even if you use the mute switch or Do Not Disturb. It sounds as if your phone is working as designed.

You can submit feedback to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

However, I suspect the reason that the alarm always sounds through the speakers and can't be muted is because no one at Apple wants to deal with all the people who would be irate because they left their phone on mute and were late to work. In fact, many people put their phone on DND at night so that they can still use the alarm but not be bothered by alerts. Before DND, people used to plug in a headset to get the same effect.

Nov 24, 2015 1:37 PM in response to cjcivicx

cjcivicx wrote:

Just seems counterintuitive. I submitted my feedback, but something tells me that the same people that you mentioned being irate because it was off have already won, because rather than taking responsibility, they'd rather someone do it for them. Thanks for the reply, though.

I wasn't making any judgments, or suggesting this was a win/lose sort of thing, just suggesting a hypothesis for why it is the way it is now.

Any way for alerts to play through headphones only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.