Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shape Element - The shape seems to clip before reaching the edge of the FCP X frame

I am trying to use an Element Shape to emphasize something in a graphic. I have done this before with no real problem but now that is not the case. I create something like a simple rectangle and position the shape where it is needed. As I move the shape the edge that is closest to the frame seems to just clip and disappear underneath the graphic. The rectangle shape is placed on top of the graphic in the project. Why is it clipping? The image below is an example. The circlet in the middle of the orange shape shows that the right side is clipped off and you can see the I am not even at the right edge of the frame.

Thanks,

Jefre

User uploaded file

Mac OS X (10.6.7), ARD 3.4

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 12:39 PM

3 replies

Nov 26, 2015 2:36 AM in response to jefre

This can happen with text elements as well. You have control over the position of the shape element, and the position of the Video layer it is contained in. if the video layer is offset you effectively reveal the edge of its frame. If you then move the shape element towards this edge it will become cropped as it goes out of the frame boundary. Reset the transform properties for the video layer and move the shape element only.

A

Nov 26, 2015 9:14 AM in response to jefre

This is a well-known … flaw in the Shapes Generator interface, look:

User uploaded file

out-of-the-box, you can not resize shapes (!!).

so, you switch in the Inspector to Video and push the size-slider.....

… which sizes the FRAME with its content, not the bar alone! pic#1

When you now drag the bar, via its OSC, to a new position, you're leaving the frame , pic#2

What I've done here: open the Generator in Motion, and 'publish' the Generators size slider ...

Then, you can size the bar AND move it anywhere ...

Or, do NOT use the OSC, use the Transform tool ....

Or, in Motion, attach the OSC not to the shape but the 'frame'

.... nice idea for a weekend project .............

next step:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

'Enhancement Request' ... 😉

Shape Element - The shape seems to clip before reaching the edge of the FCP X frame

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.