Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 5.6.1 assumes SAVE when I QUIT or CLOSE after editing.

I sometimes want to discard changes.

Prior to this version, Pages would ask if I wanted to SAVE.

Is there a setting that will restore that method of operation?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 11:09 AM

5 replies

Nov 24, 2015 11:26 AM in response to Wapitaya

That is a System "feature" since OSX 10.7 "Lion" and Pages '09 v4.05 four years ago.

It is Auto Saving once you save the first time and does so regularly not just when you quit.

There is no way I know of turning it off.

If you do not want to change an existing document do a Save As... (command shift s) which will duplicate the file to a copy which you will be asked to save separately.

Files which have been Auto Saved have versions which you supposedly can Revert to under the File Menu, but I find this irregular and spotty at best.

Peter

Nov 27, 2015 1:30 PM in response to Wapitaya

In System Preferences : General. Check Ask to keep changes when closing documents. Also a good idea to check Close windows when quitting an app.

With the first setting above, Pages auto-save is disabled, and if you attempt to quit, you will be prompted appropriately. You will know that auto-save has been disabled because the red traffic light will continue to have a dark center dot that indicates content has not been saved. In the following, I created a new blank document, added some text, and then just selected Pages : Quit. Ordinarily, if I planned to save this content, I would have changed the Untitled filename to something meaningful.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.