Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slim down TM backups?

Every TM backup takes 600MB+ on my Mac. Without downloaded, newly created… files etc. Any idea how I might slim down my backups? There's a whole lot of useless temporary garbage that wastes my Time Capsule's disk space. I have already excluded the cache files from being backed up, but what else of this kind could I exclude?

Thanks a lot!

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 5:36 AM

It is fairly difficult to get inside what TM is doing.

Q7-9 here can help you. http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

5 replies

Nov 26, 2015 5:36 AM in response to Peter R.

I know how to do it if I'm told what to exclude. :-)

I cannot tell you what to exclude.. that is the hard part.

You need to track what is the problem.. I don't know.. and I cannot know. You already excluded all the caches that were causing trouble.. afayk.

Hence why read pondini who explains the way around the problem.. and I quote. Track 3 or 4 backups and you will then be able to find what is the problematic files. And exclude them.. He also lists the typical things..

You can use the Time Tracker or BackupLoupe apps (see Troubleshooting item #A2) to see exactly what was copied on any particular backup.

Nov 24, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Peter R.

Every TM backup takes 600MB

You are likely running an application or applications that back up their entire database anytime any change is made to the database file. Microsoft Outlook is famous for this. VM Fusion, Parallels do this as well as any number of non-Mac applications.

To find out which application might be the culprit, I suggest that you use a utility like BackupLoupe to find out exactly what is being backed up on each backup pass. Once you have run several backups, it will be easy to find the large backup file and then Exclude it from backups.

To Exclude an item from a backup.......

Click the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click Time Machine Preferences

Click the Options button

Click the small + button at the bottom of the Exclusions list

Use the Finder interface to navigate to the file or files that want to Exclude

Click the file to highlight it

Click Exclude at the lower right of the Finder window

Slim down TM backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.