Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Permissions

My new laptop has a different user ID than the one it replaced. I am unable to view the contents of my old User ID folders in any of the Time Machine backups.

I went to one of the folders that has the red circle and white line it it. I opened permissions. Under “Name” there was a greyed out “Fetching” and a dark grey “Everyone” option.

I could change the Privilege designation, but, It sill wouldn’t let me open the folder.

Per some forum instructions I tried to delete “Fetching” but since It was greyed out, I can’t delete it.

What do I do?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 12:31 PM

3 replies

Nov 24, 2015 12:58 PM in response to clairefrommill valley

Permission on Time Machine Volumes are very complicated. Do not change your Time Machine Backup Drive with the Finder. AT all. Ever. You can wreck the links and make your entire Backup unusable.

How much time and energy do you have invested in the new machine?

There are straightforward ways to bring in all your old Accounts, but they would require starting over. If you already have a lot of time and energy invested in your new Mac, then it will take MUCH more work.

Nov 24, 2015 3:41 PM in response to clairefrommill valley

This web site, created by the late James Pond, has a great deal of information available starting at this page, and folowing the links to your exact solution.

Pondini's OSX Tips: Setting-up a new Mac from an old one, its Backups, or a PC

everything he writes about Lion and Mountain Lion also applies to the Mac OS X versions that followed them.

Nov 24, 2015 3:43 PM in response to clairefrommill valley

First make sure you have read & write access to the folder you're trying to restore to. You should be able to see its contents in the Finder, and to move files in and out of it.

This is an exception to the rule that you should never make any changes to backup data. I've tested this procedure in OS X 10.8 only. It should work with later versions, but I don't know whether it works in earlier versions. Use it only for files that were backed up from your home folder, or a folder on another volume created by you, and would normally be writable by you. Do not touch backups of system or application files.

In the Finder (not in the time-travel view), navigate to the backup volume, then to the folder named "Backups.backupdb", and then to the snapshot you want to restore from. The snapshots are folders labeled with the date when they were created. Inside each of those folders is a file hierarchy like the one on the volume that was backed up. Descend through the hierarchy until you come to a folder named "Users," and inside that, a folder with your user name. The procedure will be different if you're trying to restore files on another volume.

Select the folder and open the Info dialog (command-I). Click the padlock icon in the lower right corner of the window and authenticate. In the Sharing & Permissions section, give your account Read & Write access. You may have to close the dialog and repeat this step in order for the change to show up. Then click the gear icon and select

Apply to Enclosed Items

from the popup menu.

Try the restore operation again, in the time-travel interface.

Time Machine Permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.