Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 27 inch Monitor sometimes does not turn on after it sleeps

I have been having issues with my monitor at least I think it is my monitor. If I leave the PC on and the monitor goes to sleep sometimes it does not come back on when I touch the magic pad or the keyboard. I did the usual things unplug power, reboot and check the cabling. I got my wife macbook pro and plugged the Thunderbolt cable in that and the monitor came on. Then I put it back in my Mini and it worked also. Now I don't know if it is the Mini or the Monitor. I have a 3 yr extended warranty from Best Buy but it is working now so I don't know what to do.

Irish

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 2:41 PM

8 replies

Nov 24, 2015 5:17 PM in response to irishmn886

My Mac Minis 2014 behaved like this in 10.10 Yosemite with 27" Acer monitor, 24 Samsung Monitor - no matter HDMI, thunderbolt - VGA or thunderbolt - DVI. I had to turn off the monitor, then re-started the monitor to recover the screen.

10.11 El Capitan update solved this issue.

However, this is my experience with 2014 Mac Minis (I have two i5, 2.6Ghz model). 2012 and 2011 Mac Minis did not demonstrate this type of behavior with 10.10.

Sam

Nov 25, 2015 7:01 AM in response to samtenor

Den.thed

The Mini was bought in 2014 model # MD388LL/A - I7 16G 1T and the Monitor is an Apple Thunderbolt 27". It has to be connected with the Thunderbolt cable that is attached to the monitor.

I am using Yosemite 10.10.5. It was fine for about a year or so but now that you mention that it went away with El Capitan, this started after the Yosemite install. I have heard that there have been issues with El Capitan so I have not installed it.

Samtenor how do you like El Capitan?

Nov 26, 2015 8:10 AM in response to irishmn886

It is a mixed feeling situation, however, El Capitan did improve some of the function on my 2014 Mac Minis and 2013 Mac Book Air (13") in terms of wifi connection - that I do not need to wait for 1 min before I can surf the web from cold boot.

The "sleep" screen issue did also resolve.

The boot time - a bit slower. Airdrop - still buggy.

I will give it 7/10 rating for 10.11

Sam

Dec 22, 2015 4:35 AM in response to irishmn886

Well I have updated to El Capitan and I was not having any issues with the Monitor going to seep and not waking up till Sun. It has gone to sleep and not come back I have unplugged power and Thunderbolt cable let it sit for a while and it still will not come back on. I Plugged My MacBook Pro into the monitor and it still did nothing. Last time it did this I used the laptop and it came on but not this time. Any help is appreciated.

Dec 22, 2015 6:31 AM in response to irishmn886

Do you happen to have an extra Thunderbolt cable? If so, plug it into the Mini

and into the Thunderbolt socket on the Thunderbolt display. This will help to

determine if possibly the Thunderbolt Display cable is bad. If it doesn't work,

then, since it didn't light up with the Mini or the MacbookPro, there is likely

a display problem.

If you are still covered under the initial 1 year Apple warranty, give Apple a call.

My 27 inch Monitor sometimes does not turn on after it sleeps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.