Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unrejecting entire Aperture library & restoring ratings

An accidental keypress appears to have "rejected" all 55k (1.6TB!) photos in my library. (I think all of the photos were all selected and someone bumped the keyboard presumably pressing '9'...?) I'd like to restore the rejected photos to their previous ratings. Is this possible?

I've seen many threads on how to unreject photos—essentially by re-rating them— but the number of photos obviously precludes this approach. I find it hard to believe that a single keypress (when all photos are selected) could be so catastrophic. (I am past the window for undoing... I just noticed this; I'm not sure how long ago it happened.)

If it is not possible to restore the ratings in bulk, my (literal) backup plan is to restore the entire .aplibrary from Crashplan, but this will take 40+ days.

One other thought... I believe the Masters are still in place, just tagged as "rejected". Is it possible to restore only the database files (from Crashplan), then overwrite just those in the .aplibrary. Is this approach viable? Which files would I need? How significant are the risks of corruption with this approach?

Thanks for your help!

Randy

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Aperture 3.6

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 12:03 PM

3 replies

Nov 24, 2015 12:53 PM in response to rocketbison

Will Crashplan send you a hard drive with your library (rather than downloading)? I'm sure it won't be "free" but that's a lot of photos to re-rate. I use BackBlaze (plus Time Machine, plus a clone). They will ship you up to 4 TB of data on a hard drive for a very reasonable fee... essentially for the price of the hard drive. Bonus: Then you would have a hard drive for local back up!

Dave

Unrejecting entire Aperture library & restoring ratings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.