Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Burning DVDs

I have been using OWC external drives and burners for a few years now without any problems. My OWC LG-branded external burner finally gave up the ghost, so I replaced it with a newer version of the same drive.

I tried burning a DVD using the Disc Utility with a disc image I created with iDVD, but it would not play on my home DVD player, (although it would play on my computer from the burner).

I tried burning directly from the iDVD app with the same result. I tried the "share" function from FCPX, and still no luck. I tried different batches of Verbatim DVD-Rs, to no avail.

I ended up on a Chat Line with OWC, and they informed me that I should connect the burner via USB cord to the iMac, then use Toast. In the past, I've only used Toast to create Blu-ray discs, and having to do that just for a SD DVD seemed tedious.

Will an Apple SuperDrive create DVDs from iDVD disc images and will it create DVDs from the "Share" function of FCPX, based on the configuration of my iMac?

Thanks for any info or reassurance you can provide.

Gary

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 1 TB + 3 TB OWC Firewire external HD

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 3:28 PM

I own the Apple USB SuperDrive. I can't live without it. I downloaded a sweet little program called "Burn" on my Mac. I have no troubles Reading, Writing CD's and DVD's. Copy CD's. Erases and Format CDRW's just fine. Burn ISO Images in Disk Utility. Ok. <rant off>. Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

<edit>

Doesn't have a physical Eject button. Whooptie do!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2015 3:28 PM in response to Gary Markovich

I own the Apple USB SuperDrive. I can't live without it. I downloaded a sweet little program called "Burn" on my Mac. I have no troubles Reading, Writing CD's and DVD's. Copy CD's. Erases and Format CDRW's just fine. Burn ISO Images in Disk Utility. Ok. <rant off>. Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

<edit>

Doesn't have a physical Eject button. Whooptie do!

Burning DVDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.