Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i completely delete a contact on messages on my mac

I have erased a name and number from all my contacts yet when i type the first letter f the name it pops up on messages. how do i completely erase this number

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 3:23 PM

3 replies

Nov 25, 2015 1:56 PM in response to bradley1971

Hi,

This info should be in a .plist database or Cache.

I have inspected the likely iChat and IDS ones in ~/Library/Preferences

The com.apple.iChat.plist does contain the Recent Chats but not the SMS ones (I was checking on these as if I stick in +44 in a New Messages I get my Carrier's SMS numbers with a No Name title).

I have checked the IDS items on the off chance.

I have checked the SOAgent item in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.soagent/Data/Library/Preferences.

I have checked the Cache files for Messages with no luck.

User uploaded file

9:56 pm Wednesday; November 25, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Nov 26, 2015 12:00 PM in response to macjack

HI Macjack,

My "To" list of numbers includes ones from my Carrier from SMS items they have sent me that appear in Messages having been synced to the Mac.

There are several numbers as they send different types of messages, Alert, Notifications, offers and so forth from different ones.

These are not listed in Mail.

Messages used to have a Recent Chats list in the File Menu but it has disappeared.

There was a separate .plist for this (com.apple.iChat.LSSharedFileList.plist) but this no longer works if it has not been removed and is not there if you have had a later OS in the first place.

The List of Recent Chats is now in com.apple.ichat.plist but does not list the items I was looking for.

There does not seem to be the equivalent of the Mail Previous Recipients list.

User uploaded file

8:00 pm Thursday; November 26, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

how do i completely delete a contact on messages on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.