Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod, then try again." I'm getting this error: It hasn't been fixed with an update in nearly 2 months. Solutions in "More info" haven't worked. Help.

"An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod, then try again." I'm getting this error: It hasn't been fixed with an update in nearly 2 months. Solutions in "More info" haven't worked. Help.

iPod nano, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 3:10 PM

3 replies

Sep 24, 2016 4:53 PM in response to SimonJester

That error probably indicates your USB docking cable is good, and iPod has a data connection to computer. The problem is likely to be related to iTunes setup or installation.

Try the basic trouble-shooting steps at the top of this document (if not tried already)

If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

If that does not help, try the more technical steps, starting where it says If you use a Windows PC.

If that does not help either, you may want to completely uninstall iTunes and related software components

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later - Apple Support

Be sure to remove the components of an iTunes installation in the precise order described. After iTunes is completely removed, download and install the latest version from here

https://www.apple.com/itunes/

Sep 30, 2016 8:08 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thank you Kenichi, I also found that reinstalling Bonjour Print Services (why they recall it "Print" services is somewhat bizarre since it handles so much more) was also required. It's very difficult to find a dedicated download for Bonjour - Apple don't offer it. After noticing that a reinstall of iTunes did not reinstall Bonjour, I found a dedicated download on CNET.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.