Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving an SSD from Mac to Mac - implications?

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro 15" Non-Retina I7/2.3. I purchased it with 4/500 config and now upgraded the system to 16/256SSD.

And there's the rub. I moved the SSD from a 2010 Whitebook (Core 2 Duo / nVidia 320M / 9GB / 256SSD) to the newer MacBook Pro 2012. I installed 10.11 on the Whitebook, and then used it for a few months, bought this MBP15, and moved the drive straight over. I didn't reinstall 10.11 or do anything else.

I notice that under Apple menu, about this mac, display, that it shows a whitebook graphic, rather than a macbook pro graphic.

That's completely superficial. All graphics, drivers, etc. work great - I'm able to use the nVidia 650M fully in games, the bluetooth and wireless work as expected, and overall, things work well. I think it's a little odd that on a 16GB machine, I show 2.35GB in use and 13.64GB free - with Chrome running lots of tabs and mail and messages all open. My iMac (also running 10.11) can hit 8GB used very easily.

(Source for 'what's used': iStat Menus 5.x. Show inactive memory as free is not selected.)

Is there anything I should be concerned with in this SSD move from a 2010 Whitebook to a 2012 MBP15, with no OS reinstall?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 4:02 PM

There are no replies.

Moving an SSD from Mac to Mac - implications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.