Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does new Apple TV with Plex app support Dolby Atmos

Hi All

I have a plex media server on a pc with a few full BD copies of movies (some in iso but most in MKV) that are 3D with dolby atmos encoded audio (dolby true-HD with atmos encoding underneath).

Does the apple TV support pass through of the lossless audio signal (along with the 3d video) to a dolby atmos AVR when running the new Plex app?

thanks

AppleTV 2

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 8:36 PM

No. I am not aware of any of these devices (ATV, Amazon Fire, Ruku, etc) that support Atmos. Very little hardware out there does. Even if ATV4 did there is almost no content that comes with Atmos encoding.

Supported Audio encoding.

http://www.apple.com/tv/specs/

HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus 7.1

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2015 8:36 PM in response to !@Matt@!

No. I am not aware of any of these devices (ATV, Amazon Fire, Ruku, etc) that support Atmos. Very little hardware out there does. Even if ATV4 did there is almost no content that comes with Atmos encoding.

Supported Audio encoding.

http://www.apple.com/tv/specs/

HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus 7.1

Nov 25, 2015 2:08 AM in response to !@Matt@!

I wonder then if it supports Dolby Digital plus which I think is Dolby Digital 7.1.

No those are not the same thing

it might still be another way for atoms.

No, the hardware does not have the decoder support for Atmos. Very little hardware does. And since the hardware does not support it none of the venders are going to go to the expense of providing content that includes Atmos encoded content, of which there is VERY little of any way.

Does new Apple TV with Plex app support Dolby Atmos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.