Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up Airport Extreme at signal booster

How do i set-up my Airport Extreme to increase my wifi range in my home? Here is my situation: I have a Wifi Router from AT&T Uverse that provides wifi for my home. I want to plug my Airport Extreme into an Ethernet Cable upstairs to get better connectivity. However, when i do that, I get 2 of the same signal and they don't seem to be connected. Help!

OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 7:55 AM

Check to insure that the Ethernet connection from the AT&T router is connected to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme.

Check the settings using AirPort Utility on the AirPort Extreme to make sure that it is set up this way:

Under the Wireless tab.......

Network Mode = Create a wireless network

Wireless Network Name = Exact same name as the AT&T network

Wireless Security = WPA2 Personal

Wireless Password = Exact same password as the AT&T network

Verify Password = Same as above

Under the Network tab.......

Router Mode = Off (Bridge Mode)

Click the Update button at the lower right of he window to save any changes that you might have made to the AirPort Extreme.

You now have what is known as a "roaming network". Both the AT&T and Apple router are providing a wireless network, but since the name of the network is the same on both routers, the network will act as if it is one "big" network.

The theory with a roaming network is that wireless devices will connect to the router or wireless access point with the best signal and then switch access points as a device moves from one area to another.

That's the theory. In practice, a Mac laptop will usually switch access points automatically when it moves from one area to another, but iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad, and other mobile devices and PCs will not.

So, you will need to get in the habit of temporarily turning off the WiFi on these devices when you move them from area to another, then turn the WiFi back on again and the device will usually pick up the stronger signal from the closer wireless access point.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2015 7:55 AM in response to RobSimmons_Official

Check to insure that the Ethernet connection from the AT&T router is connected to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme.

Check the settings using AirPort Utility on the AirPort Extreme to make sure that it is set up this way:

Under the Wireless tab.......

Network Mode = Create a wireless network

Wireless Network Name = Exact same name as the AT&T network

Wireless Security = WPA2 Personal

Wireless Password = Exact same password as the AT&T network

Verify Password = Same as above

Under the Network tab.......

Router Mode = Off (Bridge Mode)

Click the Update button at the lower right of he window to save any changes that you might have made to the AirPort Extreme.

You now have what is known as a "roaming network". Both the AT&T and Apple router are providing a wireless network, but since the name of the network is the same on both routers, the network will act as if it is one "big" network.

The theory with a roaming network is that wireless devices will connect to the router or wireless access point with the best signal and then switch access points as a device moves from one area to another.

That's the theory. In practice, a Mac laptop will usually switch access points automatically when it moves from one area to another, but iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad, and other mobile devices and PCs will not.

So, you will need to get in the habit of temporarily turning off the WiFi on these devices when you move them from area to another, then turn the WiFi back on again and the device will usually pick up the stronger signal from the closer wireless access point.

Nov 25, 2015 10:04 AM in response to RobSimmons_Official

When interconnected by Ethernet, you will want to configure your overall network as a roaming-type network. In this type of network each wireless router will broadcast an individual wireless network ... BUT, since each will use the same network name, wireless security type & password, these networks will "appear as one" to a wireless network client.

If you need assistance with setting up a roaming network, just let us know.

Nov 25, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Tesserax

This may relate to my problem - I'm not sure. My house is served by a Verizon DSL modem. I have an Airport Extreme for wireless around the house.

However, I need to get my internet connection to a second building about 150 feet away, a workshop. How can I do this? Can an ethernet cable be used that far away? Is there any way to get my wireless signal to go that far? Will a second Extreme help somehow?

Thank you

Nov 25, 2015 11:25 AM in response to Lightwave

An Ethernet cable will exhibit almost zero signal loss up to about 330 feet or 100 meters, so this would be by far the best way to extend the network to the second building.

Wireless might work if the two AirPorts literally have line-of-sight with each other, but you won't really know how well this might work.....or even it works at all..... until you try it out. For that reason, it would be a good idea to understand the store's return policy before you buy additional equipment.

Setting up Airport Extreme at signal booster

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.