Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are my CPU temperatures normal? Quick question!

So, my Late 2011 2.4GHz Core i5 MacBook Pro 13" was getting super hot, to the point it would shut off. I brought it to a licensed Apple shop and had the inside cleaned out & new thermal paste applied. I still wonder if my temps are normal...

With 2 Safari tabs (Facebook & Apple Support), Messages App and Skype open i'm averaging 45-50 celsius.

With all of the above PLUS YouTube running a 720p video, it's getting between 50-55 celsius.

I want to try a "stress test" but i'm not sure as the thought of it possibly shutting off by itself scares the living daylight out of me!

Hopefully this can be answered easily 🙂

I've also upgraded the original 500GB for a 1TB and swapped one of the 2GB sticks for an 8GB stick, for a total of 10GB.

If someone thinks swapping the other 2GB stick out for another 8GB to make it 16GB total will help keep my temps even lower, then I will certainly do so. I know she is getting to be around 4 years old, but I want her to last as many years as possible, it's definitely been my most favorite Mac computer i've ever owned!

Thanks everyone! -Connor

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 5:07 PM

4 replies

Nov 24, 2015 5:14 PM in response to ConnorFranta92

as long as the fan is spinning (you can hear it if you put your ear or a stethoscope to the middle of the keyboard) and warm air is exhausting out near the hinge at the back, those temps are not outrageous.

By design, it measures temperatures at several different places inside, and the System Management Controller boosts the fans when things are getting hot.

Nov 24, 2015 7:29 PM in response to ConnorFranta92

I found my old core i5 always ran very warm, like I could fry an egg on it.

If your fans are ramped up to 6000 rpm I would be concerned, otherwise you are within limits.

Matched pairs of RAM is always better. If you are getting no panic then I can only assume it is good to go. 10-15% performance hit with mismatched pairs.

SSD also run much cooler.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan(10.11.1), i7 480GB SSD 16GB RAM iPhone5 iOS9.1, Parallels10.0.2

Are my CPU temperatures normal? Quick question!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.