Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need help connecting mac pro 3.1 to network

I just picked up a MacPro 3.1 used.

I've got an ethernet connecting it to my network. Through my router's homepage (on another computer, a PC) I can see the Mac. However, on the Mac Pro 3.1 (running El Capitan) I cannot see the network and it doesn't even recognize the ethernet cable (shows it in System Preferences as being unplugged). I've tried both plugs, resetting the modem, changing DHCP settings and too many other things to remember them all. I can't figure it out.

Any help?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 4:16 PM

7 replies

Nov 24, 2015 4:54 PM in response to abfurbab

about all I can suggest to you is that you go into Network preferences, and under Ethernet, go to DHCP and renew/release DHCP. you could be able to get to the router's homepage from your mac, if that helps you any (not too sure on that). Just open up your web browser and put in your router's IP address

(should be on a card/on the bottom of the router, if it's a d-Link) and from there you can do that. You may need to put the modem into bridge mode, and if it has wireless built into it, turn it off

just a guess though

JB

Nov 24, 2015 5:07 PM in response to abfurbab

When this stuff does not work, your best bet is to use:

System preferences > Network > Ethernet > (assist me) > (assistant) ...

..to set it up again, from scratch. Be sure to specify a new, named "location" so that you can walk away from all preconceived notions it might be holding on to.

When you have finished configuring, be certain to use the (Save Changes) button and/or close the window and Save Changes for them to take effect.

Nov 24, 2015 7:03 PM in response to Johnb-one

JB - I removed any "locations", and removed all "services" in SysPref>Network

Status still says: Cable Unplugged

I renewed the DHCP license under "Advanced"

Tried inputting DHCP manually

Status is still the same.

If I put router address into safari I get "You are not connected to the internet"

If I ping the Mac from my PC on my network I get 4 out of 4 failed packets even though it can "see" it through my router. That said, it does not show up unde my DHCP client table (looking through router page on PC connected to network). But it does read the MAC address correctly (matches the MacPro).

There is no wireless card/adapter or airport installed - as far as I can tell - and no option to choose it in the network pref anyway.

Nov 25, 2015 7:53 AM in response to abfurbab

To run at 1000BaseT, an Ethernet cable must have all 8 conductors present, and none can be broken or miswired.

If you make the 1000BaseT setting Manually, it will only connect if the cable is working at that speed. If you allow the speed to go "automatic", the cable will connect at the slower speed (but no error message will be issued).

Network Utility can be used to observe the ACTUAL connection speed easily. It is also shown in the "About This Mac" system report, buried in the "Network" heading.

need help connecting mac pro 3.1 to network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.