Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swipe on Siri remote stopped working

I've been using the Siri remote successfully for a few weeks. Today I started watching TV only to discover that the touchpad on the remote isn't working at all (I swipe and nothing happens). The buttons all still work fine (including pushing the trackpad to select something), and I've tried recharging the remote and repairing it to the Apple TV - neither changed anything. Any ideas about what could be wrong?

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 4:22 PM

I've found the UI can be a big sticky at times and it won't respond to swiping on occasion but overall I haven't experienced this problem. If you haven't tried it already I'd unplug the power cord to fully reboot the ATV4 and see if that makes any difference. If that fails you could do a full reset.

Lastly I'll mention this and don't take it the wrong way because I've done this several times myself...

Is it at all possible you were trying the remote upside down? The buttons are perfectly symmetrical and its very easy to pickup the remote in the wrong direction and swipe away on the wrong end of the remote. After a few times I figured out what I was doing and spun the remote around again. 😉 They really should have done something to ensure you always hold it the right way around.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2015 4:22 PM in response to nlwhis

I've found the UI can be a big sticky at times and it won't respond to swiping on occasion but overall I haven't experienced this problem. If you haven't tried it already I'd unplug the power cord to fully reboot the ATV4 and see if that makes any difference. If that fails you could do a full reset.

Lastly I'll mention this and don't take it the wrong way because I've done this several times myself...

Is it at all possible you were trying the remote upside down? The buttons are perfectly symmetrical and its very easy to pickup the remote in the wrong direction and swipe away on the wrong end of the remote. After a few times I figured out what I was doing and spun the remote around again. 😉 They really should have done something to ensure you always hold it the right way around.

Nov 25, 2015 4:25 PM in response to nlwhis

I understand your suggestion about possibly using the wrong side - I definitely have done that in the past, but in this case that wasn't it. For one thing, I could actually use the button within the trackpad portion to still select something I was already hovering over - I just couldn't use the trackpad to swipe to something else.

I still have no idea what was going wrong, but in the end cycling the unit by unplugging the power cord did the trick. Thanks!

Swipe on Siri remote stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.