Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iPhone backup with iTunes transfer notes?

I backed up my iPhone 5s using iTunes and I'm wondering if it saved the Notes or not?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 5:17 PM

It depends ...

If you set up email accounts that support notes (iCloud, Gmail, etc.) and you enabled that feature, then no these are not part of your backup. However, new in iOS 9 is the ability to establish a separate "On My iPhone" account for notes, which can be used in addition to email notes. If you enable this (Settings> Notes> "On My iPhone" Account> ON) then these notes would be part of your backup, but not the notes that are syncing with email accounts.

If you are not syncing notes with any email accounts, such that the notes only exist on your iPhone, then yes those are part of your backup.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2015 5:17 PM in response to eliasfromseattle

It depends ...

If you set up email accounts that support notes (iCloud, Gmail, etc.) and you enabled that feature, then no these are not part of your backup. However, new in iOS 9 is the ability to establish a separate "On My iPhone" account for notes, which can be used in addition to email notes. If you enable this (Settings> Notes> "On My iPhone" Account> ON) then these notes would be part of your backup, but not the notes that are syncing with email accounts.

If you are not syncing notes with any email accounts, such that the notes only exist on your iPhone, then yes those are part of your backup.

Nov 24, 2015 8:32 PM in response to eliasfromseattle

eliasfromseattle wrote:

Thank you! I think this means that my notes were backed up. I don't use email notes, just the iPhone Notes app, and I didn't enable the "On My iPhone" account for notes. So I should be good with the backup, right?

Just to clarify, the iOS Notes app works with email accounts which support notes. But if you're sure that you're not syncing the iOS Notes app with an email account, then yes for sure your notes are part of your backup.

Does iPhone backup with iTunes transfer notes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.