Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Force Touch makes it hard to grab a file to move it

If I want to move a file on my desktop, I select it than hold down the Magic Trackpad so I can drag it. But with Force Touch, if I push down too hard it opens the file. And if I don't push down hard enough, it doesn't move the file. In fact, most of the time, it doesn't move the first time I grab it. I have to try a second time, and then it works.

Am I doing something wrong here?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 5:52 AM

Good day Roger,

Force Touch does allow some flexibility with how it works. I would suggest that you try varying the settings for your trackpad to see if you can find an amount of force needed that works better for you. This article - Using a Force Touch trackpad - has a section titled Change trackpad settings that tells you how to do it.

Specifically -

To adjust the pressure you need to click your trackpad, follow these steps.

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
  2. Click Trackpad.
  3. Click the "Point & Click" tab.
  4. Find "Click pressure" and adjust the slider to your preference. Note that the sound of the click changes with the click pressure setting.

To turn off Force click, deselect the “Force Click and haptic feedback” checkbox. This will disable the functionality described in the Trackpad preferences pane.

A few of the examples of what you can do with a Force click only work if "Force click with one finger" is active. You enable or disable this in the "Point & Click" tab under "Look up & data detectors."

You can turn off the sound of your trackpad's click by selecting Silent clicking.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Safe computing.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2015 5:52 AM in response to Roger Barre

Good day Roger,

Force Touch does allow some flexibility with how it works. I would suggest that you try varying the settings for your trackpad to see if you can find an amount of force needed that works better for you. This article - Using a Force Touch trackpad - has a section titled Change trackpad settings that tells you how to do it.

Specifically -

To adjust the pressure you need to click your trackpad, follow these steps.

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
  2. Click Trackpad.
  3. Click the "Point & Click" tab.
  4. Find "Click pressure" and adjust the slider to your preference. Note that the sound of the click changes with the click pressure setting.

To turn off Force click, deselect the “Force Click and haptic feedback” checkbox. This will disable the functionality described in the Trackpad preferences pane.

A few of the examples of what you can do with a Force click only work if "Force click with one finger" is active. You enable or disable this in the "Point & Click" tab under "Look up & data detectors."

You can turn off the sound of your trackpad's click by selecting Silent clicking.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Safe computing.

Force Touch makes it hard to grab a file to move it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.