Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am using Airport Extreme (connected to Airport Extreme by Ethernet) at my basement. It works fine and I get good wi-fi signals. but when i connect my home theater to the LAN port, the internet connection gets lost. Any help?

I have a home theater system at my basement. Also, have my office there with my desktop PC. I am trying to get good network connection for both my PC and my Home theater. So, I am trying to use Airport Express (wired to the Extreme by Ethernet). It is set as bridge mode and "create wireless network". It is giving me good wi-fi signal for my PC. But whenever I am connecting my Sony amp to the LAN port of the Express, the whole network loses internet connection although the modem shows no problem). Any solution?

Airport Express-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 8:12 PM

5 replies

Nov 24, 2015 10:39 PM in response to bashpata12

I need to see the whole layout in screenshots from airport utility.

I also need to know how the sony amp is setup..

Can you set it to static IP and if so have you tried that??

It sounds like you are creating a loop.. is the sony amp also wireless which is active??

Please tell me the main modem.. make and model??

How the Extreme is setup, router or bridge?

What models are the extreme and Express?

Screenshots of the summary pages.. that is the key.

And hopefully you have iphone or ipad and using that airport utility not win10.

Nov 25, 2015 7:50 PM in response to LaPastenague

1. The internet modem is Apris Surfboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

2. The Airport Express and Extreme are both the latest models.

3. Here is the set up:

a. the airport extreme is connected to the modem (by Ethernet) on the top floor. A CAT-5 cable is run from the LAN port of the modem to the basement and is connected at the WAN port of the Airport Express.

b. I have configured the airport Express as "create a new network" and "bridge mode". I have checked that the Airport Extreme is in "share IP address" mode and is set up as router mode. it is now giving me good wi-fi to the laptops, i-phone and my PC at the basement.

c. My PC at the basement is connected to a 2nd Airport Express. This Express is connected to the PC at it's LAN port by Ethernet and is configured as "join the network" mode and working well.

d. Now, is the problem part. whenever I am connecting my Sony (STR-DA5800ES) amplifier to the Airport Express by Ethernet cable, the network loses it's internet connection. In Airport Utility, all the devices (the Extreme and the Express and the modem) turns grey and unavailable. It says device unavailable.

4. The Sony amp has 4 LAN ports and all it does is to work as a network switch through which other connected devices get internet.

5. The Sony amp also does have built-in Control4 to give me automation at my theater. Not sure if the Control4 is causing any problem ornot.

Nov 25, 2015 10:35 PM in response to bashpata12

1. The internet modem is Apris Surfboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

2. The Airport Express and Extreme are both the latest models.

This is not a happy setup.. just to tell you.

If everything is working then we will ignore that.

5. The Sony amp also does have built-in Control4 to give me automation at my theater. Not sure if the Control4 is causing any problem ornot.

I am a bit old and out of the latest gadgets.. I have never seen an Amp with a Switch in it.. what I am afraid of it has DHCP running.

Please plug a laptop into the Sony with ethernet.. no connection to the rest of the network.. does the laptop get an IP address?? If so the sony has DHCP turned on.. and you must turn it off.

I will study the amp manual and see how complex the new toys are.

Can you please setup the AMP with a fixed IP..

eg 10.0.1.100 (assuming the Extreme is set to default IP)

Set the DNS to 8.8.8.8

Set the gateway to 10.0.1.1

No proxy.

and turn off the port activation except for the single port that will be the connection to the Express.

Network Settings

You can adjust the settings for the network.

Internet Settings

Lets you check or change the network settings. You can change the settings for the following items either manually or automatically.
– IP Address

– DNS
– Proxy Server
Connect the receiver to the network beforehand. For details, see “5: Connecting to the network” (page 44).

LAN Port Activation

Lets you set whether or not to activate each LAN port on the rear panel.
Among the four LAN ports on the rear panel, check the ports that you want to activate. The receiver will use the activated ports to access a network.

By disabling unused ports, you can save power consumption. The ports not connected to a router or a hub will be grayed out.

Nov 27, 2015 11:07 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for all those info.

I actually found out that it probably has nothing to do with the Sony Amp. I tried to connect other devices like my laptop or my Sonos speakers and it does the same thing.

Then I found out that as soon as I connect the Ethernet cable to the LAN port of the Express, the whole network disconnects from the internet. In Airport Utility, all the devices become unavailable!

It appears to be a problem with the Express. may be some settings are wrong.

Moreover, the same set up was working totally fine. the Sony Amp is running my home theater. it was set up by a Home Theater company and it was working fine. Last week, I accidentally disconnected the power cord for the Express. When I plugged it back, all this mess started.

So I am pretty sure that it is supposed to work. but i am probably not getting the correct configuration for the express.

I am using Airport Extreme (connected to Airport Extreme by Ethernet) at my basement. It works fine and I get good wi-fi signals. but when i connect my home theater to the LAN port, the internet connection gets lost. Any help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.