Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading my Mac

I have Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 I also have Final Cut Express 4 1.0.6. If I upgrade my Mac will my Final Cut Express 4 still operate correctly

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 8:09 PM

I can't tell you from first hand experience, but FCP 7 (which FCE 4 is a variant of) runs fine on OS versions up to El-Capitan. The biggest unknown, I think, is whether the installer will work.

You could create a partition on your system drive (or on another drive), download and install 10.11 and boot from that drive. Hopefully, FCE will nstall FCE and test.

Good luck.

Russ

PS: Just to expand on my FCP 7 comment, I have tested FCP 7 on those OS versions. However, I now mainly use FCP X. Any time that I need to do important work on FCP 7, I return to an extremely stable 10.6.8 system (like yours).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2015 8:09 PM in response to royfromS.A

I can't tell you from first hand experience, but FCP 7 (which FCE 4 is a variant of) runs fine on OS versions up to El-Capitan. The biggest unknown, I think, is whether the installer will work.

You could create a partition on your system drive (or on another drive), download and install 10.11 and boot from that drive. Hopefully, FCE will nstall FCE and test.

Good luck.

Russ

PS: Just to expand on my FCP 7 comment, I have tested FCP 7 on those OS versions. However, I now mainly use FCP X. Any time that I need to do important work on FCP 7, I return to an extremely stable 10.6.8 system (like yours).

Nov 30, 2015 8:34 PM in response to Russ H

Thank you Russ.

I do not want to purchase FCP 7, I am very happy with FCE.4 It dose every thing I really need for my simple editing. I do not want another long learning process.I up graded my Toast Titanium 12. to 14. Only to find out that Titanium 14 will only fully work if I up grade my Mac.hence my question, If I do that I fear my Express 4 will no longer work. I can fully understand why a new App. may not work on an older Mac. I just cannot understand why an older App. no longer works on an upgraded Mac. Unless dare I say this, [ It must be a money grab ] Anyway thanks for your help Russ. Think I will stick with 10.6.8.

Dec 1, 2015 4:24 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks once more Russ, I did not think you were recommending me to purchase FCE 7, and I do thank you for your feed back. I will stick with 10.6 and I will have to live with the fact that I cannot use all the new features of Toast 14.Next time I purchase a new App I will take note of the system requirements. Silly me.

Roy

Upgrading my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.