Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New DVD Burner

I have Toast Titanium 7.1.3 and I have too many problems since I upgraded from Snow Leopard (no problem there) to Mountain Lion.

Toast 10 sounds good but is not supported for Mountain Lion. And I see a lot of negative and angry reviews about all the version that came after that (version 11-14) And this is without knowing if they too are unsupported for ML.

Many critics said that Toast was a good products some years ago but not anymore.

So I tried something else: I used the DVD tray to burn a disc: By opening "File->Burn Folder"

It doesn't have as much options as Toast but it works. Kind of: On 5 discs (attempt to burn) only 1 or 2 work. Which is of course unacceptable! I use Verbatim DVD+R with AZO

I see now in a catalogue from MacSales.com a DVD/CD burner:

"OWC Mercury Pro" a Professional external USB 3.0 optical drive. Up to 24x speed

$78 (OWCCMR3USD24)

And I'm thinking that perhaps that will resolve my problem? At the same time I'm wondering what is the difference between this item and my DVD burner in my computer? Is this the same thing but this is external and mine is internal?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 2:56 PM

The internal drive will normally behave faster. Read my tips on CDs*:

http://www.macmaps.com/cdrfailure.html

OWC is a good brand to get though.

* Links to my pages may give me compensation.

4 replies

Nov 25, 2015 2:55 PM in response to tony gardino

I have been running Toast Titanium v11.2 with Mountain Lion OS 10.8.5 for some time now. It has never failed me and has run perfectly on previous OS versions. I produce Master CD's and DVD's for replication as I know of no other software capable of all colour book compliance parameters ie: red book and so on.

Also is allows for advanced audio mastering settings like encoding for copy protection and many other features. In the ten years or so using previous versions, I have never had a burn failure and I am talking hundreds of units. The only failures have been with the disc burners and over use.

My experience with version Titanium 12 is such that I retuned it for a refund and would advise anyone to stay clear of it.

I see many posts regarding the problems related to burning CD's and DVD's. It is not expensive and for serious mastering it is a must.

I have two previous versions, Titanium 7 and 9 that anyone can have for $5 NZ plus postage.

Nov 25, 2015 2:54 PM in response to a brody

I really don't care about speed. Even if it takes 2 h. to burn a movie that's fine; I click "burn" and go watch TV. I prefer, just to be on the safe side, not to do any other activities on the computer (surfing the web, listening to iTunes, etc) when I burn a DVD.

I read the article you linked (CD tips) and it is not the media; I only use brand name, there's no label or ink when I insert the blank DVD, I checked to see if there's scratches or dust before I put it on the tray, etc.

My question was more about what is the difference between these two, beside that one is inside my computer and the other is external: they are both optical drive, the external is USB 3.0 while the one in the computer is connected to the host/motherboard via a SATA interface.

There's a saying in French: "c'est chapeau blanc et blanc chapeau" (="it's white hat and hat white", referring to something that is the same or as you say in english "same difference").

If I'm buying this external burner, am I buying the same thing that is already in my computer and the only difference is that it will be outside (and slower)? And one is USB while the other is SATA?

Why does my optical drive behave this way? Are they known issue about this method of burning a DVD?

Why do people buy a software like Toast Titanium to burn DVD instead of using this method?

I used Toast Titanium 7.1.3 with Snow Leopard and before that, Tiger and before that with whatever version I had (forgot the name) without any problems.

When I inserted a blank DVD, Toast Titanium will open automatically and I burned data on a CD or movies on a DVD. I might be wrong but I think that the rate of success was 98%.

The problem with Toast Titanium is that it will not work if I upgrade to another version of OS X

With the internal optical drive it will always work with whatever I have. But it is unreliable.

The ad for the OWC Mercury Pro says: "Now with an updated design, Mercury Pro is the premier drive to bring optical media back to your workflow." Huh? Aren't all drives optical? BTW I own many products from OWC; it is a very good brand.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3USD24/

So the basic question is: will this external OWC Mercury Pro be different, better, and RELIABLE (very important !!!) than the one I have in the computer?

Nov 25, 2015 3:36 PM in response to logic79

I didn't know that Toast Titanium v11.2 works with Mountain Lion OS 10.8.5 (which is what I have).

I remember visiting the Toast-Roxio website back in June or so and only the version 10 was good; all the other versions after that had full of angry reviews against it (Version 11,12,13 etc.)

As I said Version 10 sounded good but is not supported for Mountain Lion. Neither is version 11

You sell version 7 but I already have Toast Titanium 7.1.3 and was very happy with it till I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Before that, as I said to Brady, the rate of success was 98%.

I also mentioned that many critics said that Toast was a good products some years ago but not anymore.

First of all you cannot buy an older version from Roxio; they sell only version 14

So if I want version 11,2 I need to go to Amazon which I visited today

http://www.amazon.com/Toast-Titanium-Mac-Old-Version/dp/B004QK8FBG/ref=cm_cr_pr_ product_top?ie=UTF8#customerReviews

And as you can see people are very unhappy. Almost half (45%) give it 1 or 2 stars (and many people give 1 star because there is no zero stars)

Only 37% gives 4 or 5 stars.

And those who are in the middle (3 stars ) gives comments like:

"Works OK with Tivo-to-Go, which is not as useful as it once was" ....."Sketchy" ..."Barely works, Unstable"

When I visit Amazon I immediately click on 1 star to see all the reviews, since 5 stars saying "good, I'm happy" is of no help and it may be fake reviews. Then I click on all the 2 stars, then all the 3 stars etc. This gives you a pretty good picture of a product.

So I'm very hesitant to buy a Toast Titanium/Roxio products.

New DVD Burner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.