Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule Won't Delete Old Backups

I have a 2 TB Time Capsule. I use it to back up a MacBook Pro, a Mac Mini, and a MacBook. Combined, the total storage for all three devices is 1.384 TB. None of the devices have maxed out their storage capacity though. None have really large files, and there are no partitions on the Time Capsule. The Time Capsule pops up a message saying that it can't back up the computer because there isn't enough room. I did a hard reset of the device by holding down the little button on the back for 10 seconds until the light on the front started flashing orange quickly. I had to go through and reset all the settings, but it doesn't look like it deleted the backups. It's still giving me the same message.

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 8:25 PM

4 replies

Nov 24, 2015 9:41 PM in response to thezoostation

I have a 2 TB Time Capsule. I use it to back up a MacBook Pro, a Mac Mini, and a MacBook. Combined, the total storage for all three devices is 1.384 TB.

Which model TC.. tall one or earlier Gen4 (it can however be gen3 or even gen2, all of which came with 2TB drives).

Part of your problem is just network.

What OS are these computers running??

I did a hard reset of the device by holding down the little button on the back for 10 seconds until the light on the front started flashing orange quickly. I had to go through and reset all the settings, but it doesn't look like it deleted the backups.

You do not delete backups that way.. no files are deleted by any reset of the TC.

To delete backups you either use Finder and delete the sparsebundle of the particular computer..

Or you erase the whole TC and start the backups all over again.

You do this via the airport utility disk tab.

User uploaded file

I would not recommend clearing the TC until you fix the network issue though.

I should also add that it's regularly dropping its internet service. The wifi signal remains, but the Mac or iOS device has to have the wifi turned off, then turned back on to get back online.

What modem do you have.. make and model please?

How is the TC connected and in what mode?

Nov 29, 2015 1:47 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply.

The Time Capsule is the current tall model, rather than the previous flat one. The Macs are all running OS X 10.11.1. As far as internet connectivity goes, I just got back from my parents' house for the Thanksgiving holiday and my MacBook was having problems connecting to their wifi as well at times. I'm starting to think it may be a problem with the wifi functionality in OS X rather than a problem with the Time Capsule. It is connected to a Netgear N600 with an ethernet cable in Bridge Mode.

Nov 29, 2015 2:03 PM in response to thezoostation

Yes, the upgrade to El Crapo has not done any Mac a lot of good in networking or particularly wireless.. clean install is definitely better.. but you can try at least a reset of the NVRAM and SMC which seems to help some people.

Use ethernet and see if that is working .. if so I would take it Apple still has a way to go before the latest OS is really out of Beta.. perhaps about 10.11.12 should do it.

What is the N600 netgear actual model number.. Netgear make about 20 different modems and routers called N600..

Is it adsl or cable router?

Does the wireless work better connected to the netgear??

Time Capsule Won't Delete Old Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.