Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

first generation apple tv connect to iTunes 10.6

I have a wonderful first generation Apple TV (running ATV OS 3.0.2 which is final update for that product). It's a great product and still is in excellent condition. It is connected to the my home wifi network properly.

I have an older HD TV (rear projection) that is huge and has an awesome picture -- but it has no HDMI inputs; so all of the newer Apple TVs won't connect to it.

Apple keeps updating iTunes and omitting support for 1st generation Apple TVs.

So since iTunes 11 doesn't support it, I acquired an older iMac, running OS 10.5.8 and iTunes 10.6.3 (25) and I'd like to set that up as a dedicated machine doing nothing but supporting and syncing to my 1st gen Apple TV. This would include music files, music playlists, iPhoto galleries, movies & TV shows.

When I go to add the Apple TV, devices doesn't show up anywhere. All the trouble shooting pages I've read so far on the net say to check the box "Look for Apple TVs". That box doesn't exist and it seems many other people had that same problem.

I can easily get my Apple TV to produce the 5 digit numeric code which I'm to enter into iTunes but I'm vexed as to how to get iTunes to see it and give me a way to enter it, thus connecting the devices.

File sharing is turned on and firewalls are turned off on the iMac.

Please help.

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 4:31 PM

2 replies

Nov 24, 2015 8:40 PM in response to DentArthurDent

This is a bad idea. Even if you can "rig" something to sort of get it working I do not think the DRM on the first gen one can play current iTunes content any more. They have changed the encryption several times. If you have to go down this road you will need a MUCH older version of iTunes that 10. I would shoot for more like 8. And you can get HMDI converters or play it though another device like a receiver or DVD player that has HDMI IN.

Nov 25, 2015 5:00 AM in response to Brian Cook4

OK

Thank you for replying but...

DRM not an issue as content is mine (from CDs, etc)

I'm not looking for other suggestings.

Please someone post a solution for the problem at hand. I know there is one, as I've been using this 1st Gen Apple TV since it was first released and only had it accidentally erased yesterday due to iTunes not linking to it. I know I had it connected to this version of iTunes in the past......

The problem I'm looking for a solution is:

older iMac, running OS 10.5.8 and iTunes 10.6.3 (25) and I'd like to set that up as a dedicated machine doing nothing but supporting and syncing to my 1st gen Apple TV.

When I go to add the Apple TV, devices doesn't show up anywhere. All the trouble shooting pages I've read so far on the net say to check the box "Look for Apple TVs". That box doesn't exist and it seems many other people had that same problem.

I can easily get my Apple TV to produce the 5 digit numeric code which I'm to enter into iTunes but I'm vexed as to how to get iTunes to see it and give me a way to enter it, thus connecting the devices.

File sharing is turned on and firewalls are turned off on the iMac.

Please help.

first generation apple tv connect to iTunes 10.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.