Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sms messages missing after repair and restart

I have a iPhone 5c, the screen and touch was damaged due to a drop. I had the screen replaced several weeks later and the touch both work with out issues now but I had approx 250+ SMS and some missed calls, now after restarting the phone without opening the message app or phone app they are all gone. running IOS 9.1, i've tried restarting the phone again, and removing the sim and replacing, nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 6:44 PM

1 reply

Nov 26, 2015 6:45 AM in response to JCaternolo

Hi JCaternolo,

If you have an iCloud or iTunes backup of your iPhone 5c, you can restore the missing messages. Your telephone carrier may be able to help you with your missed calls.

iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519?locale=en_US

What iCloud backs up

iCloud automatically backs up the information on your devices—iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch—over Wi-Fi every day when they are turned on, locked, and connected to a power source. When your iOS device information is backed up in iCloud, you can easily set up a new device or restore information on one you already have.

Here’s what iCloud backs up:

• Purchase history for music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books

Your iCloud backup includes information about the content you purchased, but not the purchased content itself. When you restore from an iCloud backup, your purchased content is automatically downloaded from the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. Some types of content aren’t downloaded automatically in all countries, and previous purchases may be unavailable if they have been refunded or are no longer available in the store. For more information, see the Apple Support article iTunes in the Cloud, iTunes Match, and iTunes Radio availability. Some types of content aren’t available in all countries. For more information, see the Apple Support article What can I buy from the iTunes Store in my country?.

• Photos and videos on your iOS devices

However, if you turn on iCloud Photo Library on your iOS device (iOS 8.1 or later) or Mac (OS X v10.10.3 or later), your photos and videos are already stored in iCloud, so they aren’t included in your iCloud backup.

• Device settings

• App data

• Home screen and app organization

• iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages

• Ringtones

• Visual Voicemail

• Health data

• HomeKit configuration

Your iOS device backup only includes data and settings stored on your device. It doesn’t include data already stored in iCloud. That includes contacts, calendars, bookmarks, mail messages, notes, shared photo albums, iCloud Photo Library, My Photo Stream, and documents you store in iCloud Drive. If your iOS device isn’t set up for iCloud Drive, but is set up for iCloud Documents & Data, your documents stored in iCloud are backed up.

Last Modified: Oct 9, 2015

About backups in iCloud and iTunes
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

Take care,

sms messages missing after repair and restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.