Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic trackpad II connectivity

My bluetooth indicator is NOT showing the 3 dots indicating a connected device. I have a Magic Trackpad II that works only to point, shows it is connected under "Bluetooth" pane, doesn't have the 3 dots in the top right Bluetooth ICON, and advanced in the Trackpad pane keeps spinning and saying,"No trackpad found". Where is the help for this problem? This is my second Magic trackpad 2 as I took the other one back for the same behavior thinking it must be broke.

System: Mac Pro 2013, OS X1o.11.1

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 5:31 PM

11 replies

Nov 26, 2015 6:31 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Yes, I am using 10.11.1. This trackpad was released with 10.11, so it should work with latest 10.11.1. Thank you for your continued interest. It really seem that this is a problem secondary to the Trackpad II firmware, and not the operating system as all the gestures are fine with the original trackpad. Plus, this is my second Trackpad II and it misbehaves the same as the first.

Nov 26, 2015 5:52 PM in response to bigdb1

The original trackpad uses different OS software. The fact that two Magic trackpad 2 both don't work, and only basic functions work, strongly suggest a problem with your OS X. You could try with the USB to Lightning cable and Bluetooth turned off. That will remove some software from the connection.

I wouldn't expect it to work in Safe Boot mode since that disables much nonessential software, which may include all nonbasic trackpad functions.

Nov 26, 2015 5:57 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thank you for working on my problem, even on Thanksgiving. I did try to use the trackpad connected and with Bluetooth turned off. No change. Reinstalled OX X 10.11.1. Restarted and no improvement. The problem is with the design of the Trackpad II and is not software. I have numerous bluetooth accessories and have added them and removed them sequentially, and all have worked flawlessly. Wouldn't spend any more of your time with this problem as Apple will have to eventually have to address this but. It may be parochial to the new MacPro 2013.

Thank you again for your expertise.

Nov 26, 2015 6:00 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thank you for working on my problem, even on Thanksgiving. I did try to use the trackpad connected and with Bluetooth turned off. No change. Reinstalled OX X 10.11.1. Restarted and no improvement. The problem is with the design of the Trackpad II and is not software. I have numerous bluetooth accessories and have added them and removed them sequentially, and all have worked flawlessly. Wouldn't spend any more of your time with this problem as Apple will have to eventually have to address this but. It may be parochial to the new MacPro 2013.

Thank you again for your expertise.

Nov 27, 2015 3:49 AM in response to bigdb1

Are there any stores near you that would have a 2013 Mac Pro for you to try with your trackpad? My Magic Trackpad 2 works fine with my 2008 Mac Pro, and I used one at the Apple store with an iMac.

I don't think it could be a Mac Pro hardware problem since it won't work with Bluetooth or USB. Are you sure you aren't accidentally booting from a different drive with an older OS X?

What does the Trackpad system preference look like? Does it show the Click pressure and Force Click settings?

User uploaded file

Nov 27, 2015 3:54 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thank you again for continuing to search for an answer concerning the Trackpad II and may Mac Pro. I hate to travel to the closest Apple Store again, as I just did it to exchange the first trackpad which I assumed was broken. Hooking a trackpad up to their black trash can sounds like the best was to determine if it is my machine or their software. I doubt their mall location would be much fun this weekend with holiday shopping in a frenzied state, but agree to do that soon. I have the latest OS verified by About This Mac. I will let you know what I find out after my trip.

Dec 10, 2015 4:26 PM in response to bigdb1

I solved the issue. Basically, I was running the Beta version of El Capitan. Although I had done all the updates and everything seemed normal like I had never done it, that wasn't the case. What you need to do is do a fresh install. You don't have to completely wipe the computer clean. You just need to go into Featured Apps on the App Store, Download El Capitan, and install it. Worked like a charm and fixed my issues with my new Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad 2.

Magic trackpad II connectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.