Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pages documents stuck 'updating'

iPad Pro wifi, 128gb, iOS 9.1, pages 2.6.1.0

After initial setup from icloud I opened pages and all my documents are faint with a progress bar at the bottom and at the top of the screen it says "uploading 35 Documents".

it's been 3 days.

I tried refreshing the app. no.

I tried closing app and restarting device. no

I tried closing app signing out/in icloud, opening app. no

I tried deleting/reinstalling app. no

I tried deleting, signing out of icloud, restarting device, signing into icloud, reinstalling app. no

I've tried various permutations of these ins/outs, and ons/offs in conjunction with the toggles in setting>pages and settings>icloud>icloud drive. no no nopey nope.

I have searched the questions here on apple support, macrumors, and the web generally. I find no distinct solution.

I do not know what's happening or not happening. Please somebody have a clear solution.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 6:40 PM

6 replies

Nov 25, 2015 6:23 AM in response to redneckgrammarcop

I was wondering why they were uploading, I'd expect them to be downloading if this is a new set up, I was trying to determine what was where.

So, if they are in iCloud already, are you able to remove them temporarily from the cloud in your finder, delete all the documents from your iPad, then copy the documents back into iCloud on the Mac, with the hope that they will all sync as expected or am I missing something.

Nov 25, 2015 7:50 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Updating is pages' word for it. I don't really know what it means, since there are no changes to update. It seems like syncing is a more adequate term, but the program says updating.

I don't understand what you mean by temporarily remove them from iCloud in my finder. i have an old macbook here running 10.7.5 and pages 09. I find access to iCloud settings in system pref's. Or I can go to iCloud.com and remove docs. But nothing in finder that I know of.

I also have an iPad Air 2 running same versions of iOS and pages as the iPad pro. When I toggle off 'use iCloud' in setting>pages and delete all docs from pages then try to download a doc from iCloud, pages prompts to go to settings and toggle on 'use iCloud'. After doing so all docs pop into pages and update w/o issue.

So I have the very same settings on both iPads, but opposite results, although sometimes, on the iPad pro, I went to setting>pages and there was nothing there—it was blank.

Nov 26, 2015 2:01 AM in response to redneckgrammarcop

Updating is pages' word for it.

That's OK, you originally said uploading which was confusing since there shouldn't have been anything to upload from a new device.

i have an old macbook here running 10.7.5

OK, you don't have iCloud Drive, you can't remove your pages documents from the cloud via the finder then.

What I was trying to get you to try was to take the Pages documents out of the cloud, so there are none to sync, then start pages on the new iPad pro and add one document back at a a time. You seem to have done most of the things I would have otherwise suggested (toggle Pages-iCloud setting, sign out and back in etc).

Do you have any issues with numbers or keynote documents (if you use them)

Nov 26, 2015 6:34 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thank you for answering me. I figured OS X had left me behind somehow. For posterity this is what I've discovered. The successful sync of the iPad Air on my home network made me suspect the problem wasn't a corrupt file or something. So I went back to the office and discovered that the problem has something to do with the business internet I'm on. I loaded pages on my phone and it seemed to work, apparently the cellular capable devices will switch to whatever signal is providing the best connection, so even if you're showing wifi connection your cell data is still in play. I ttethered the iPad pro to the phone and the files updated without issue. To test whether the fix was permanent I untethered and went back to wifi on iPad pro, then turned off cell data on my phone, the Produced a test document on both the phone and the iPad. Both docs uploaded to iCloud and updated on the device on which they were created, but failed to sync to other devices. I turned cell data back on and it updated on iphone. Tethered iPad and it updated there too. Spoke to somebody about the network and was told that perhaps pages and keynote (numbers seems to be fine) are trying to use a port for download that has a firewall. Anyhow, I hope this helps someone else with this phantom Issue.

pages documents stuck 'updating'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.