Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've recently started getting this error message during my time machine backups

I've been receiving this type of message(s) for a while now, I did erase the disk and started backing up new, but still receiving them - and keep getting more for newer dates. Is there any reason to be concerned?

Starting post-backup thinning

Error: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-36 "ioErr: I/O error (bummers)" deleting backup: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/MacBook Pro/2015-10-22-002336

Error: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-36 "ioErr: I/O error (bummers)" deleting backup: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/MacBook Pro/2015-10-26-002226

Error: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-36 "ioErr: I/O error (bummers)" deleting backup: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/MacBook Pro/2015-11-04-170724

Error: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-36 "ioErr: I/O error (bummers)" deleting backup: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/MacBook Pro/2015-11-15-170108

Error: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-36 "ioErr: I/O error (bummers)" deleting backup: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/MacBook Pro/2015-11-16-193542

Error: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-36 "ioErr: I/O error (bummers)" deleting backup: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/MacBook Pro/2015-11-18-222933

Error: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-36 "ioErr: I/O error (bummers)" deleting backup: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/MacBook Pro/2015-11-22-165416

Deleted /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/MacBook Pro/2015-11-23-194250 (14.4 MB)

Post-backup thinning complete: 1 expired backups removed

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), null

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 5:45 PM

3 replies

Nov 24, 2015 9:48 PM in response to goomah1

I would always be concerned.. the errors are failure to access or delete a file.. these are files that have been backed up but are now subject to thinning.. The failure will not stop the backup working but it will grow bigger at an increased rate.

I would attribute at least some of the problem to El Capitan whose poor networking stands out..

Although you have given no indication of what the backup is on.. I presume this is a TC.

If so tell me what model TC .. and more about the network. What modem.. how is the TC setup??

When did you erase the disk?? I am guessing this is the TC disk not the Mac disk.

If the TC has not popped up disk failure then I would say it is purely ElCrapo networking.. Or actual TM issues.

Could you get hold of thunderbolt to ethernet adapter so you can do this over a more stable network connection.. wireless is always dubious.

Nov 29, 2015 6:34 PM in response to LaPastenague

I also see the same error message:

com.apple.backupd[24137]: Error: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-36 "ioErr: I/O error (bummers)" deleting backup: /Volumes/Time Machine Backup/Backups.backupdb/losangeles/2015-11-09-184224

And both of the time machine drives are LOCAL USB Seagate external disks connected via USB. When I try to go into that directory, I notice that the directory does not exist, however.

-AP_

Dec 8, 2015 7:38 PM in response to apara55

These errors prompted me to get a replacement drive from Seagate because it seemed that the original was failing. I copied the old TM archive to the new drive and continued TM backups on the new drive. The "I/O error (bummers)" diagnostics continue to appear in the log just as before. So it's more likely just one more lameness in El Capitan and not a problem with the drive at all. So now I've replaced a perfectly fine drive with a warranty refurb. Thanks, Apple.

This lameness pales beside the behavior that it no longer performs TM backups at all unless I initiate them manually. Evidently something to do with the fact that it's a USB drive and my Mac is connected to a USB UPS.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/tm-auto-backups-still-broken-in-10-11-1.1931 065/#post-22162593

I've recently started getting this error message during my time machine backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.