Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with Mac Mini Late 2012 to 4k Asus PB287Q Monitor

I have spent hours reading about this, trying to get it to work, and can't. I was hoping someone could help. Here's the problem:

I connected the Asus 4k Display via Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort. The default resolution is too low (2560), so I installed SwitchResX, as so many have recommended. I configured it for El Capitan, and then set up a custom resolution: 3840 x 2160 @30Hz.

Running this resolution, I get screen disturbance on the Asus, as well as my other HDMI (lower resolution) display. Even disconnecting the HDMI display, the disturbance takes place on the 4k. By disturbance, I mean that the mouse is a very large square (rather than a pointer), and dragging windows results in fragments of those windows being repeated on the screen (not clearing off of the screen). There's also a bunch of black and white patterns appearing towards the bottom of the screen. Other than that, everything looks perfect! 😉 But in all seriousness, it does: refresh rate is good and the resolution is otherwise superb.

I've also tried a lower refresh rate (down to 10 Hz), and had the same problem. I also tried 1080p HiRES, same problem.

Here's the craziest part: I connected my 2011 MacBook Air, and the **** thing powers up the display at 3840 x 2160 at 30Hz PERFECTLY!

Any answers?

Here are the specs:

Mac mini (Late 2012)

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

THANKS SO MUCH!

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 12:31 PM

I have roughly the same setup (a U28E590), and am experiencing roughly the same problems, with variations.

After applying this patch GitHub - Floris497/mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2 the Mac port is able to output the required clock rate, without problems. Using SwitchRExX 4.6.6 i get 4096 x 2160 at 30Hz, but with the lower half of my screen not being refreshed properly. Lowering the resolution to 3840 x 2160 does not help. SwitchResX is working, and "About This Mac" shows the display to be 3840 x 2160. I'm using a 4k Thunderbolt adapter. Pressing Ctrl F2 makes the jitters go away temporarily.

I'm well aware that this is experimenting with pushing the boundaries, but any hints or tips from folk who has made setups like these work is most welcome. :-)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2017 12:31 PM in response to chris.nyc

I have roughly the same setup (a U28E590), and am experiencing roughly the same problems, with variations.

After applying this patch GitHub - Floris497/mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2 the Mac port is able to output the required clock rate, without problems. Using SwitchRExX 4.6.6 i get 4096 x 2160 at 30Hz, but with the lower half of my screen not being refreshed properly. Lowering the resolution to 3840 x 2160 does not help. SwitchResX is working, and "About This Mac" shows the display to be 3840 x 2160. I'm using a 4k Thunderbolt adapter. Pressing Ctrl F2 makes the jitters go away temporarily.

I'm well aware that this is experimenting with pushing the boundaries, but any hints or tips from folk who has made setups like these work is most welcome. :-)

Nov 24, 2015 8:33 PM in response to chris.nyc

Hmm... what RAM did you use when you upgraded the Mac Mini to 16GB...?

It might be important here, because the Intel HD Graphics 4000 uses system memory.

(Noting that my Late 2012 2.5 GHz i5 with 10GB of RAM has no problem driving dual displays)

If you have good RAM, then you might have a problem with the PECI GPU overheating.

(I use MacsFanControl on both my Mac Mini's to monitor and control their temp's)

Nov 25, 2015 5:04 AM in response to den.thed

I don't recall, @den.thed. Though, I will say that I have no problem driving two monitors otherwise, and I have the same problem when only driving the 4k on its own. Isn't it odd that my far less powerful (in all capacities), older MacBook Air can power dual displays, including the new one at 4k, but my Mac Mini is doing this?

By th/e way, do you happen to know how to better describe what's happening on my screen (these "fragments" and sporadic vibrating patterns appearing)?

Nov 25, 2015 5:15 AM in response to chris.nyc

Here's a screenshot of what happens (I'm surprised that the app was able to take a screenshot of the distorted view. Is this a clue into the cause?). As I move windows, pieces of it stay put on the screen. Meanwhile, the other, lower resolution HDMI screen was all black and white horizontal lines. Switching the 4k back to 2560 x 1600 @60Hz resolves both screens.

User uploaded file

Trouble with Mac Mini Late 2012 to 4k Asus PB287Q Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.