Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 2011 Graphics issue - won't boot, how to force integrated fx

I have a 2011 MBP with a graphics issue. I haven't been able to get it repaired yet as I need it every day for work. I've been using fxgraphicscard app to force it to integrated and it was working fine, but I had to restart and now it won't work. I tried resetting PRAM and booting in safe mode, tried everything. I just need it to turn on. I've already decided to get a new computer but I urgently need my files off. I came across this old thread:

2011 MacBook Pro and Discrete Graphics Card

Valmorion wrote:

Ok some one did post it before i'll rewrite so dont remember de page:

1) Turn on presing (cmd+s) this will boot in single user mode so no graphics you will see ":/ root#"

2) Type the next sentences in order:

1- fsck -fy (to check the disk)

2- mount -uw / (permision read/write)

3- mkdir DisabledExtensions (Create a place to move the drives)

4- cd /System/Library/Extensions (Go to where the drivers are located)

5- sudo mv ATI* /DisabledExtensions (move all ati stuff to the place made before)

6- sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions (updates the access and modification timestamps for the Extensions folder)

7- reboot

Then it should boot, in my case it goes where you type the password but it only shows the gry background and cant see the box but i typed the password and it works, and then you have a half working macbook pro, finder crash for me, i managed to enter with shift+cmd and there the finder works. Im still looking to really force it to dont try and use the amd gpu.

---

I want to try this but I'm worried because someone else commented it will make the computer essentially useless.

Can anyone comment? Or have any other ideas? I just need it to turn on so I can force it to integrated graphics.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 9:53 PM

There are no replies.

MBP 2011 Graphics issue - won't boot, how to force integrated fx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.