Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail quits after Group Address

The Crash report says something like that it doesn't like my Group Address. Initially it would work OK until I tried to use the Group Address, but now it looks as though it may be trying to send a Group Addressed email on opening Mail as it immediately quits. Is there a way of seeing waiting emails or the Group Address folder so that I can delete it without opening Mail? Mail quits immediately on opening so I don't see Mail at all.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 6:41 PM

5 replies

Nov 25, 2015 6:20 AM in response to Roy Bradshaw

I had this same issue last week, spent 2 hours on the phone with tech support. Here's the deal: You can no longer send group emails simply by typing in the name of the group. It will crash the program. You must open Contacts and right-click the name of the group and choose "Send email", and then it will populate the addresses properly. This is an annoying extra step.

If the application immediately crashes upon opening it afterward, your mailbox must be rebuilt. Do the following:

Pressing the option key, choose Library from the Go menu in the Finder.

Then open the Mail folder.

Rename the V3 folder to something like "V3 old".

Restart Mail. Your mailbox will have to rebuild which, depending on the number of messages and mailboxes, may take several hours. You can, however, send and receive mail during this process.

Finally, don't do that again!

Best of luck.

Nov 25, 2015 10:50 AM in response to GChiusano

Hello

Many many thanks for that, I was beginning to think I was going to have to erase my Start Up drive and re-load El Capitan.

Interested to read it took 2 hours to solve what appears to be a simple problem. Recently I used the Apple Support Chat Line twice to find out if the side Audio O/P on an iPad was still useable if you use a Lightning to HDMI converter. I came away thinking I was conversing with a highly unintelligent computer. First time I was told it was so I bought the adapter but it didn't work as I wanted. After the second very frustrating dialogue eventually I did get an answer but they had to go away to get it. Does nobody want to drive a projector via its HDMI input and yet feed a separate amp for the audio, and don't these Apple people know anything about their products?

Nov 25, 2015 10:54 AM in response to Roy Bradshaw

What took so long is that first you have to go through the gatekeeper who answers the phone. They have to walk you through all their steps first, but they are not allowed to have you actually change any folders, like I have suggested to you. They have to send you over to a supervisor who is authorized to walk you through steps that can change your configuration. Annoying, yes. Seems Apple is trying to keep a tight grip on their proprietary software and make third-party developers work around them.

Mail quits after Group Address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.