Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group Messages

Why is "NEW MESSAGE" showing up on my group messages now? Every time a group member sends a text it shows "NEW MESSAGE" in bold letters above their message. Really getting on my nerves!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 9:55 PM

11 replies

Nov 24, 2015 11:57 PM in response to albert2288

Exact same question. Not only did it start happening out of the blue but it's only happening with other iOS users, I can't figure out for the life of me what changed, and it was quite the undertaking to find reference to it on the Internet. Thanks for posting, I thought I was going crazy for a minute and look forward to hearing the responses/fixes!

Nov 25, 2015 6:18 AM in response to albert2288

I'm having the same problem. Wish someone could answer it. I've tried rebooting my phone because someone thought that would work but it didn't. I don't think its just other iOs users though. I have a group message with my sisters that has been ongoing for a couple years now - this JUST started on Monday and the first person that it started showing up on has a Samsung (droid). But, it is also showing from the 2 with iphones. There is only one person in the group message that it isn't showing up for and she has a Samsung galaxy 6s.
But none of them are having the issue

Nov 25, 2015 8:14 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

Meg St._Clair wrote:

It's an AT&T issue.

Funny you should say that. Our family are AT&T customers, and we have a couple of group messages, but have not experienced such behavior. I don't doubt what you are saying, but this is the first I've read of this being AT&T, and I would like to follow up on it for further information for posters.

There have been a number of threads about it in the last few days. I haven't done a great job at tracking them, though. It seems to only happen in group messages that include non-AT&T customers. There's not a lot out there on the 'net, though.

See this one:

"New Message" text in bold before actual text message in group MMS

Nov 25, 2015 12:38 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

Thank you. I'll have to try a couple of experiments then with group messages. I have a couple of people I know that are non-iOS users and also non-AT&T users that I can test with. Hope all is well, and the best to you and yours for the Thanksgiving season.

I'll be interested to hear the results of the experiment. I don't do a lot of group messaging so I haven't personally seen it yet.

Have a great Thanksgiving yourself! Be careful driving. Be sure to eat too much!

Nov 25, 2015 1:54 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair wrote:

I'll be interested to hear the results of the experiment.

I was in another post about this, I'll have to find it, but one of the other users there did a test when I said it would be a little while before I could test and he stated he just tested it with the parameters we discussed, AT&T, Group Message, mixed users (iOS & Android) and he was able to duplicate the behavior.

Meg St._Clair wrote:

Have a great Thanksgiving yourself! Be careful driving. Be sure to eat too much!

Thanks, and I will try for a personal record! 😁

EDIT: Here is the post I was referring to: iMessage displays "New Message" on every single post

Group Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.