Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic 10.2 Sessions Loading SUPER slow

Hi all, I'm in the process of troubleshooting, but I figured I'd throw this out there. Logic is loading sessions incredibly slow. Here's the details.

I'm a 10 year Logic user who uses this daily for my only source of income! So, I know what I'm doing :-)

Brand "New" Computer (just arrived with upgraded parts and all that)

Upgraded 2009 Mac Pro with 12 core 3.05Gz and 32Gb of 1300mHz Ram. Brand new SSD.

Installed Yosemite from my bootable thumb drive onto the never used SSD which was formatted via disk utility from a thumb drive

Installed all the plugins (Waves, Slate, Autotune, REV, more) from their proper installers, etc...

Interface is Antelope Zen

Logic files are being loaded from a secondary internal 7200RPM hard drive (the same one that was sitting in the old computer).

I've already repaired permissions, and all that stuff, so I'm not sure why a computer with more than twice the power under the hood as my old one, is running things at 1/4 the speed.

Opened up a rather large session that used to take maybe 3 min to load, and it takes 10+!! It's insane. Logic gets bogged down in the plugin loading phase. I've never seen anything this slow in years!

The Old Computer was:

2008 Mac Pro 8 core 2.7. 6GB Ram, regular hard drive.

Yosemite 10.5, everything set up exactly the same as I set up my new one.

The new computer SCREAMS on boot up, and the few other things I've tried to have it do. But logic is CRIPPLED! No idea why. Everything is updated. I haven't downloaded and installed all the libraries and extras, but the session is 100% audio anyways. I've tried a few different sessions including a MIDI one, and the same results. Super slow load time. Ridiculously slow.

I might take the new machine for diagnostics to make sure everything is fine, but it's running super fast otherwise. I'm going to keep searching the internet for ideas, but currently i'm baffled. Hit me with any ideas. Thanks!

- Brian

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 9:58 PM

7 replies

Nov 24, 2015 11:10 PM in response to maximumlevelaudio

Quick update. Using the same session off the same hard drive, in two different machines:

Song load time 10:53. Plugin portion of load time 9:20 - Max Pro 12 core 3.05, 32GB Ram, SSD for OS

Song Load time 1:45. Plugin portion of load time 32 seconds - Mac Pro 8 core 2.77, 6GB Ram, Hard drive for OS

I tried a LARGE song, so it should take a bit to load... but this is RIDICULOUS!

Trashed Logic, and currently re-downloading to reinstall. UGH! I found one other thread online discussing what seems to be the same problem. 3 pages of people trying ideas, no solution found.

Nov 25, 2015 1:38 AM in response to maximumlevelaudio

Have linked the problem to my WAVES plugins by isolating things. If I use a waves plugin, it goes slow, and the session loads slower. If I don't, super smooth. So that's the problem.

I tried deleting everything WAVES (plugin, preferences, waveshells, everything), and reinstalled just a single plugin I had, and the problem returns with that plugin. Looks like this is a move for their tech support to solve. I'll post the final result in case anyone has a similar problem! :-)

Nov 25, 2015 5:50 PM in response to maximumlevelaudio

RESOLUTION!!!

When you are in Waves License Center, click on licenses, and click REFRESH. Even if you think everything is up to date. Apparently this fixes something and fixes the problem. Shame that Waves doesn't have this posted readily on their website because it would have saved me HOURS of uninstalling and reinstalling logic, uninstalling and reinstalling plugins, etc.

Hopefully someone else having this problem sees it.

Logic 10.2 Sessions Loading SUPER slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.