Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot unhide menu bar in el capitan text edit

I am using OSX El Capitan 10.11.1 on macbook pro. Suddenly today when using Text Edit the menu bar at top disappeared above. I then went to Systems Preferences, General and the box to Auto show & hide menu bar was not ticked at all. I want to see the menu bar at all times, how can I restore this ?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 9:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 3:06 PM

Hi,

Push your cursor right to the top of the screen and the menu bar will appear. Go to View and in the dropdown menu at the bottom, Exit full screen.

You should leave the box in Sys Prefs unchecked if you always want to see the menu bar.

4 replies

Nov 26, 2015 3:12 PM in response to Cunnla

Thank you for your help. It's not quite what I wanted. The Sys Prefs was unchecked, but I want to see the menu bar when in wrap to page mode as I change fonts etc quite often during the document. If i go to an old text edit document, the menu bar stays on that document, but not on a newly created text edit doc, whether in full screen or wrap to page. I have recently upgraded to El Capitan, but this problem did not occur until a few days ago.

Nov 26, 2015 4:37 PM in response to janfromnorth manly

Try Text Edit > Preferences > New Document and see what the settings are there. Toggle the box for Wrap to Page and see if it makes a difference.

In case it is a corrupted Preferences file, go to Users/your Home Folder/Library/ Preferences. You can get there by going to Finder and Go in the menu bar. Keep holding down the Option key when you click on Go and select Library. Then go to Preferences and look for this file -- com.apple.TextEdit.plist. Turn off Text Edit, movethe .plistto the trash and relaunch Text Edit.

I cannot unhide menu bar in el capitan text edit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.