Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home sharing: cannot find Show pop-up menu

First question ever here...

I am trying to transfer an album from one computer to another via home sharing. Home sharing on both is turned on, both computers (Win7) are logged into the same AppleID. I don't know if it makes a difference, but the AppleID logged into both is the one on which the music was purchased on iTunes.

After choosing the library I want to import from, and clicking the music button, instructions then say: Click the Show pop-up button at the bottom of the iTunes window and choose "items not in my library."

This does not show up. I cannot find it. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much!

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 2:16 AM

2 replies

Nov 26, 2015 11:02 AM in response to Soso2

Hi Soso2,

Welcome to the Support Communities! Thanks for your question. I believe the pop-up button you are referring to is the "gear" icon that you see in the bottom left-corner of the iTunes window when you select a library you want to share. Click on the gear icon and choose "items not in my library." I've highlighted some key information in the resources below. Click the links to see complete details.

Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202190

You can use Home Sharing with up to five computers on your home network. Follow these steps to use Home Sharing:

1. Open iTunes on your computer.
  2. Sign in with your Apple ID and password. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.
  3. Go to File > Home Sharing.
  4. Turn on Home Sharing.

Now you can use Home Sharing:

• Stream music, movies, TV shows, apps, and other iTunes content from one authorized computer to another. The computers need to be on and awake, and iTunes needs to be open.
  • To see all of your shared libraries, click User uploaded file in the top-left corner of iTunes.

User uploaded file

• Share iTunes content by dragging it from one computer’s library to another computer’s library.
  • You can also import purchases from other Home Sharing computers into your iTunes library. Choose a shared library, click User uploaded file, and select the content that you want to import.

Share your iTunes library over your home network
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201779

Hope that helps ...

User uploaded file

Mar 20, 2016 12:27 PM in response to judysings

I have the same issue running Home Sharing on a Windows 10 PC with iTunes 12. I can view the library from the other device on my Home Sharing network, but there simply is no longer an option to "view items not in my library", and no gear icon. The iTunes help says there is a Show menu at the bottom of the iTunes window, but there is no such menu that I can find anywhere.

Home sharing: cannot find Show pop-up menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.