Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I troubleshoot iPhone Mail error message "cannot send mail, user name or password ..... is incorrect"?

iPhone5, iOS 9.1 as of 11/24/15 (problem started when I was still using iOS 7.2.1).

My e-mail originates on EarthLink Webmail server, which is then associated with Outlook Mail, which is sync'd with Mail app on iPhone.

Recently changed password in EarthLink mail account. Updated password in Outlook Interned e-mail account Settings. iPhone is set up to sync e-mail with Outlook. Sync'd iPhone on 11/24/15 via iTunes on desktop.

In iPhone Mail app, I can receive email just fine. However, can't sent e-mail from mail app on iPhone. Instead, I receive an error message reading "cannot send mail; user name or password for SMTP.[earthlink mail address]@smtpauth.earthlink.net is incorrect." The error dialog box has an option to go to Setting on my phone. Went to Settings \ Mail, Contacts, Calendar. Selected my e-mail account. Incoming mail server is listed as pop.earthlink.net. There is a line item for Password. I updated the password to match the one entered in EarthLink and in Outlook. Ougoing Mail server is listed as smtpauth.earthlink.net. There is NO OPTION to update a password here.

So if my problem is due to a password discrepancy at the outgoing mail server, why on EARTH doesn't iPhone settings allow me to fix the password in the account information for the outgoing mail server??????????????? Such a simple fix, but sooooooo far away........

I am extremely reluctant to delete and re-enter the mail account on the iPhone for fear of stepping into majorly deep doo-doo.

Thoughts?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 10:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 11:41 PM

The outgoing mail server option should be clickable. Its clickable for me. Try clicking on the word "smtp.earthlink.net"

Alternatively, go to Settings > Mail,calendars and contacts > open your email account (that you are having problems with) > Outgoing Mail Server > click on primary mail server and ensure that the password is updated there.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2015 11:41 PM in response to janedoeinsuburbia

The outgoing mail server option should be clickable. Its clickable for me. Try clicking on the word "smtp.earthlink.net"

Alternatively, go to Settings > Mail,calendars and contacts > open your email account (that you are having problems with) > Outgoing Mail Server > click on primary mail server and ensure that the password is updated there.

How do I troubleshoot iPhone Mail error message "cannot send mail, user name or password ..... is incorrect"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.