Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage discrepancy??

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), ver.10.11.1

I kept on receiving messages that my startup disk is full, so I erased a bunch of files and, after a bit of researching, downloaded OmniDiskSweeper.

When I sweeped my disk, it said that my disk used 39.3GB in total, while before the sweep, it said that 94.1 GB was used.

I also found the same discrepancy between the storage info shown in "about this mac" and my finder.

User uploaded file

Where can I track down this missing 55GB??

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 9:36 PM

3 replies

Dec 14, 2015 2:16 AM in response to dominic23

Hi thanks for the reply!

I understand that the "other" category could be any other files that have not been indexed by spotlight.

I tried reindexing with different ways (by adding/removing the disk at system preferences and using sudo command) but the discrepancy persists.
Could there be any other reasons for this problem?? Or any other ways to see where the files are?

Dec 14, 2015 2:49 AM in response to damidami

That program that produces that display has a bug in it. It simply should not be relied on to give accurate information.

Download from the Internet OmniDiskSweeper and Grand Perspective (both free) and open them. They will show all of your files and the respective sizes. Transfer to an external HDD or delete files you no longer want on your MBP.

Do not forget to empty trash. Only then is space allocated for new data.

Ciao.

Storage discrepancy??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.