Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does mainstage 3.2 add aux bus to duplicated patch?

When I duplicate a patch I end up with unwanted AUX 1 and AUX 2 channel strips at the concert level. Why and how can I prevent this unwanted occurrence?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 2:11 AM

8 replies

Dec 26, 2015 10:08 AM in response to Matt_Flowers

Matt:

As I have designed:

• At the concert level I have a couple of channel strips: A "guitar" strip and a "Keyboard" strip as well as "output 1&2" and "metronome" and "master". The "Guitar" and "Keyboard" are each linked to a seperate foot volume pedal for on-stage control of volume.
  • At the patch level it varies.
    • I might have one or two channel strips for guitar that bus to the "Guitar"
    • I might have one or two instrument channel strips for soft synths that bus to the "Keyboard" strip

That is all well and good until I restart or make a new patch, then Mainstage is making it's own AUX channel strips (now up to three). These then make a bypass of my guitar (patch level) sounds straight to output which is bypassing the volume controls on the concert level "Guitar" channel strip.

Chris

Dec 30, 2015 7:00 PM in response to VguitarGuy

I think they changed how the Patch Busses were handled or translated.

Each Patch Bus needs to be on a unique aux.

I dont remember which MS3 version started this but I resolved it by rebuilding my sets using new Patch Busses and deleting the unused auxes.

I have no more problems with duplicate aux creation.

My setup has no global auxes but every patch has 2 Patchbus auxes.

Dec 30, 2015 5:27 PM in response to ap_nc

I just gave up on having concert level AUX strips and the problem is solved. It seems like you should be able to make a patch AUX/BUS route to a concert level channel strip but it's not worth the hassel of deleting all the orphans that get created each time you boot up. So, cure was keeping the fancy stuff at the patch level.

Dec 30, 2015 7:53 PM in response to VguitarGuy

I have been scratching my head over this, too. I'm not sure that I understand the answer. I haven't really figured out how to use patch buses.

Aux buses in general have been a problem for me. For example, if I set up a patch with an Aux using a chorus plugin, when I switch to a different patch and then come back to the patch that uses the aux with the chorus, there will be a delay of about 5 seconds before the aux routing takes effect. Very ugly.

Dec 31, 2015 8:34 AM in response to DrSchmenge

Dr Schmenge:

I'm not sure that I really understand either. However, what I can tell you is that once I moved all of the patch bus activity to the patch level (vs concert level), I no longer had the issue of duplicated AUX busses showing up.

I think what causes Mainstage to duplicate a bus is that it thinks that it is being asked to send a signal to a location that is no longer there, so it just makes a AUX bus. So, I have been very attentive to if a action that I take automatically makes a AUX strip or not. If Mainstage makes it, I use it because that is where Mainstage thinks it is sending information. I then change that AUX bus settings to what I need vs what it generated. I think this scenario is made worst if you are trying to send a patch level bus assignment to a concert level AUX. So, I no longer have concert level AUX assignments which is a pain for efficient workflow, but I get around that by having a patch level template patch and I just duplicate that template patch whenever I am making new patches. The advantage of that approach is that many of the assigns to buttons are already made.

This doesn't seem like the way things should work, but until I am granted knowledge from the Wizards behind the curtain at Apple, I'll have to make my own yellow brick road. This one is working for me.

Why does mainstage 3.2 add aux bus to duplicated patch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.