Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer sites from iWeb running on Yosemite on MacbookPro 2008 to 2011 model running El Capitan _ I have read all the details and tried suggestions but so far have only a copy that will not recognise my existing sites??? Thanks

I have tried repeatedly using all the suggestions that seem to be out of date as so far nothing has worked - I have iWeb version 3.0.4 running on my 08 Macbook Pro and have successfully copied that to my 2011 Macbook Pro but I cannot seem to find a way of transferring the existing six sites I have running on it.

It will open as a brand new copy with the Welcome to heading but despite numerous attempt will not recognise any site I try and transfer - Surely someone else knows how to do this as I really don't want to start again and rebuild them all and I also don't want to give up on the program as I have found nothing else that seems to work as well (?)

Any help greatly appreciated .

Macbook Pro 2.6GHZ, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 12:03 AM

2 replies

Nov 25, 2015 1:01 AM in response to sigggi999

The reason that none of your sites are recognised and won't open, is because with successive OS updates, iWeb will not longer open individual domain.sites files. This has been happening since the Mountain Lion update I think.

What you need to do is do a search of this forum for an application called iWeb UserSites or something else called Domain Cracker and if you download this, then you will be able to open individual domain.sites files again.

I take it the sites that you transferred over from your computer were your domain.sites files/iWeb files and not your published html files? If so, you will be out of luck because iWeb is unable to open published sites as it has no import facility.

Again, do a search of this forum for iWeb UserSites and download this and you should then be able to open your individual domain files.

You may find that you have to give up on iWeb because it is no longer a supported or developed product and has not been for at least the last 4 years and with future updates to Mac OS it will just become less and less compatible.

EverWeb is very similar to iWeb, but can do a lot more out of the box than iWeb could. Take a look - is was developed by Rage Software as an iWeb replacement and is very like it in look and feel and if you have used iWeb, then you will feel very comfortable with this.

How do I transfer sites from iWeb running on Yosemite on MacbookPro 2008 to 2011 model running El Capitan _ I have read all the details and tried suggestions but so far have only a copy that will not recognise my existing sites??? Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.