Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When using my iPhone I get an echo of my own voice

W using my iPhone 4 I get an echo of my own voice. It happens intermittently, on speaker and not on speaker.

iPad, iOS 7.1

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 3:13 AM

1 reply

Nov 26, 2015 11:36 AM in response to SALOS Dave

Hello SALOS Dave,

If you are hearing an echo in your voice, whether through internal speaker or headphones, it sounds like the issue may be with your microphone. Take a look at the troubleshooting steps for the hardware of your iPhone in the resources below:

Get help with hardware features on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201401

First, make sure you're using the latest version of iOS. If you still have an issue after you update, find your symptom below and follow the link for help.

Acoustic-speaker/microphone/receiver

Get help with these issues:

Issue not solved

If you still have an issue with your device, contact Apple Support.

Last Modified: May 6, 2015

Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203792

Test the microphones on your device

To find out if there’s an issue with the microphone on your device—and not an app that you're using or your cellular connection—test each microphone.

Microphone location can vary by device, refer to the technical specifications for your product.

iPhone

There is more than one microphone on your iPhone.

User uploaded file

To test the primary microphone on the bottom of your iPhone, open Voice Memos and tap the record icon. Then speak into the microphone and tap the play icon to play back the recording. You should be able to hear your voice clearly.

If your voice sounds faint when you’re using the speakerphone on a phone call, make sure that your iPhone receiver isn’t blocked or covered.

If audio from video recordings sounds faint, or Siri can’t hear you, make sure that the microphone near the iSight camera—on the top, back corner of your iPhone—and the receiver isn’t blocked or covered.

Happy Holidays!

When using my iPhone I get an echo of my own voice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.